• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/29/2019 at 9:45 AM, Justin V said:

51Qe0zmXLqL._SY400_.jpg

Corp Pincheira - The Sonido Moderno Project: The only album by Pincheira, a Chilean pianist/composer based in New York.

Once again.  This is some killin' stuff.  It sounds modern as heck, reminding me of Steve Coleman sometimes, so the album title is appropriate.  

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Bobby-Capture.png

Speaking of b + dr structures .....

I love how that record evokes dusty, way-out-in-the-country places.  Sorta similar (country-vibe wise) to records like John Carter's Fields and Marion Brown's November Cotton Flower.  ... Re: Mraz and Waits. Hell yeah. You cannot go wrong with those two.

Edited by HutchFan

14 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Very disappointed that this was never reissued on CD. A marvelous session that among other things shows just how good a player was Joe Romano.

I knew him from his big band work, mostly with Buddy Rich, and was surprised how much Joe Henderson influence he had absorbed.

The session as a whole is kinda "top-shelf second tier" to my tastes, but lord, with everything else that's been reissued, this one surely should have been.

All the Noto Xanadu albums are worthwhile IMO. I particularly like the one with Sam Most in the frontline.

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I knew him from his big band work, mostly with Buddy Rich, and was surprised how much Joe Henderson influence he had absorbed.

The session as a whole is kinda "top-shelf second tier" to my tastes, but lord, with everything else that's been reissued, this one surely should have been.

Henderson influenced a lot of players. Back in his Jones-Lewis Orchestra days, Rich Perry (now very much his own man) was known as "Little Joe."

26 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

All the Noto Xanadu albums are worthwhile IMO. I particularly like the one with Sam Most in the frontline.

Henderson influenced a lot of players. Back in his Jones-Lewis Orchestra days, Rich Perry (now very much his own man) was known as "Little Joe."

Joe Romano was from Rochester NY.

While I was living in Rochester,  Joe would return home quite often between jobs, sometimes staying a for a few months.

He played regularly in Rochester clubs, and I went to see/hear him numerous times. His playing in small groups and a local big band was , to my taste, excellent. every so often I heard a Sonny Rollins influence in his tenor solos.

Joe played both alto and tenor. He played lead alto in the big band, but mainly focused on tenor in his small group gigs. 

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

1194.jpg

Well, yeah, ok.

Not sure what your point is, Jim, but I really like this session. You're right, it should have been reissued. And Romano's playing with Woody Herman was really good, too. Romano also had his own more recent session, a good quintet session (with Joe Magnarelli I think),   from the 90's perhaps, which I had as a digital download, but lost in a computer crash. 

Now:

image.jpg?c=vZGoJnkvE8Tp8FK2zWzHPYAf7E_1

Edited by John Tapscott