Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Not sure what your point is, Jim, but I really like this session. You're right, it should have been reissued. And Romano's playing with Woody Herman was really good, too. Romano also had his own more recent session, a good quintet session (with Joe Magnarelli I think),   from the 90's perhaps, which I had as a digital download, but lost in a computer crash. 

Now:

My point is just that I had never heard it before. Now I have. And that's about it. It's a good revord, neither Moto nor Romano were exactly... overexposed,  so mission acomplished there. But will I ever listen to it again?  Probably not? One, done, had my fun.

4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

the-exciting-terry-gibbs-big-band-live-a

Hey -- I have been listening to that one in my car the past couple of days and LOVING it!!  I love all the Terry Gibbs big band "Live" stuff I have heard.  I actually feel kinda guilty about listening to this band without the necessary accompaniment of a thick well-done steak, a highball and lots of cigar/cigarette smoke because that's the setting for which this music was designed, Just listening to this music, I half expect to see Joey Bishop or Marty Milner seated at a nearby table.  This is the type of band for whom "Too Close For Comfort" was a big showstopper, so this is not music for Maria Schneider acolytes.  Great arrangements, although some might dismiss them as "clever", and a band of musicians who combine to create a powerful, swinging musical machine.  Mel Lewis keeps the band's engines well stoked.

14 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

This is the type of band for whom "Too Close For Comfort" was a big showstopper, so this is not music for Maria Schneider acolytes. 

Why not? Are they averse to learning or otherwise paying attention? Or simply enjoying? God help them if they are!

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Why not? Are they averse to learning or otherwise paying attention? Or simply enjoying? God help them if they are!

My impression is they would be aghast to find themselves appreciating the same type of music that the unwashed masses hoot & holler & applaud for.