• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is only one word for this band and this video:

INCREDIBLE!

In the trumpet section ya got Doc Cheatham, Joe Newman and Cat Anderson.  In the sax section ya got Charles McPherson sitting smack dab between Earle Warren and Arnett Cobb -- and, oh yeah, Pepper Adams on the other end.  Did you think that looks like Ray Bryant on piano in that video still?  Well congratulations, that is Ray Bryant and and I never thought of him as a boogie woogie player but there he is on the fun-filled thrill ride that is "Hamp's Boogie Woogie".  I think this is the first time I have seen Panama Francis drumming.  Very crisp and tasty.  I absolutely loved this video, but I still did not have half as much fun as Hamp did.  Do yourself a favor this weekend and set aside an hour to watch this amazing concert video.

19 hours ago, paul secor said:

There was too little Ernie Henry captured for posterity.

Down Beat were sort of underwhelmed. Unable to express the ideas floating in his head and painfully squealing because he was aware of what he wanted to express but couldn't ... Or so they thought ...

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

81P8k-tBp7L._SX425_.jpg

Just out of curiosity ....

Was there more than one Milcho Leviev or a succession/family of musicians by the same name?

Unless my memory is failing me really, really badly, I do seem to remember that name from some Down Beats from the 50s (and/or Schwann-like record release listings), but in an orchestral MOR pop/light classics context. Could this possibly be the same one?