So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

5 hours ago, paul secor said:

See the source image

After listening to Jeff's new CD, I felt the urge to listen to another Atlanta native.

I've always liked the cover photos on this one - taken by our own brownie (the member, not the camera) - though this CD issue only includes one of them. I had to take the LP off the shelf to see the other, and I did that.

Back cover of the original issue:

35010758tu.jpg 

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not listened to those (VOL 1-5) for many years. I enjoy it now, especially  like others here I like much of Bud´s later playing. The very early stuff, especially the early Verves tend to be too much high register runs.

The latterday performances have astute quotes from other songs, the playing is a bit more laid back, and it´s not such a speed race like earlier achievements.

The drummer is okay, the bass is a bit reluctant. When Bud stops for him to do a bass solo, he just keeps walking on, not soloing.

On my CD, it starts with 2 before unussued tracks , a very fast "Swedish Pastry" and a nice "There will Never be another You". But no reference to it in the liner notes.

IMHO this is Bud in very good form and a very pleasant listening experience.

Unbenannt.png

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

AWMXR0011-Large.jpg

one of my all time favourites

IMG_0905-L.jpg

11 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-4260759-1360014266-6078.jpeg.jpg  R-1170145-1254420456.jpeg.jpg

Ornette! - programmed as originally issued from the Atlantic box set.

Bill Evans - The Paris Concert, Edition One (BN). I admire this, but I'm not loving it tonight.

The Bill Evans session was recently discussed in an article by Gene Lees that Jazz Profiles recently reprinted. Bill Evans in Paris