• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JZB-7.jpg  R-10016739-1490198124-9167.jpeg.jpg  R-1028685-1530787229-6354.jpeg.jpg

Olympia Brass Band - The Great Olympia Band book CD (Jazzology). A really excellent set recorded in London in 1968 and originally issued in the UK on 77 Records.

Serge Chaloff / Boots Mussilli - Serge and Boots, from the Chaloff Mosaic box set.

Albert Ayler - Live on the Riviera (ESP). First spin - I just became aware of this release a few days ago. Or rather, I just became aware that it did not duplicate material I already had, as I had thought.

Edited by jeffcrom

7 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Don't mean to be a dick, but I spent a couple hours listening to Roscoe's Ride the Wind. I am stilled involved.

Not at all - I think everyone who has heard that one gets it. It's in that body of recordings that have so many layers that you continually find new things in them; they reveal new aspects during each listen. King Oliver's Creole Jazz band records, Gil Evans' Ampex album, and the best Ives recordings are like that.

22 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

After I sold my Herwin (?) lps, I got this 

61iYjQB1xYL.jpg

:tup I used to have the Herwin LPs. I'm perfectly happy with this.

29 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

JZB-7.jpg  R-10016739-1490198124-9167.jpeg.jpg  R-1028685-1530787229-6354.jpeg.jpg

Olympia Brass Band - The Great Olympia Band book CD (Jazzology). A really excellent set recorded in London in 1968 and originally issued in the UK on 77 Records.

Serge Chaloff / Boots Mussilli - Serge and Boots, from the Chaloff Mosaic box set.

Albert Ayler - Live on the Riviera (ESP). First spin - I just became aware of this release a few days ago. Or rather, I just became aware that it did not duplicate material I already had, as I had thought.

Please let us know what your impressions of the Ayler are.

813AEEAzvsL._SS500_.jpg

Jimmy Smith - The Boss: I am a sucker for the albums I have from this Verve series.  I found a copy yesterday for $5, which is less than the download.  I do most of my late-night listening through headphones and am enjoying being able to focus on Donald Bailey's drums with how he is panned to one side.

47 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Please let us know what your impressions of the Ayler are.

I have the other issued Ayler recordings from late July in France - the Nuits De La Fondation Maeght material and the additional tracks on the Holy Ghost box set - and I like those very much. Based on one listen, Live on the Riviera is not nearly as good as the others. Ayler seems pretty reined in. Maybe it's because Call Cobbs had not yet arrived, and/or that there is more emphasis on Mary Maria Parks' recitations and singing. In any case, this is some of the least compelling Ayler I've ever heard. Of course, since it's Albert Ayler, I will certainly give it a few more listens; maybe it will grow on me.

2 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Out for a half hour walk this morning - cut short by snow starting to fall and walkways getting slippery.
On my iPod shuffle: Early Gene Ammons (he was a pretty good blues ballad singer); Takacs Quartet: Beethoven; Ellington: Such Sweet Thunder; Messiaen; Son House.

Gosh, how I look forward to those days without the thought of having to work.  Almost 32 1/2 years logged in, Paul. 

Edited by Tom 1960