• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Brad said:

Here you go Gheorghe. 

2FCC7E85-0C12-4D60-BC9E-3764861E6839.jpeg

Disc 2. 

Thank you very much, Brad !

I think they have wonderful cover photos, also the photos from the inside sleeve, and nice liner notes.

Right now I listen to the second CD "Four in One", with David Williams replacing Buster Williams. David Williams also wrote a nice little waltz for that album "Keep the Master in Mind" , maybe he´s referring to Cedar Walton.

Gary Bartz is one of the most versatile musicians around, he has done everything from  bop to avantgarde, world music , but here he shows that he never forgot his bop roots. Somehow like Jackie McLean, but he could not be confused with Jackie McLean, he has a softer sound and more subtile phrasing.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Gary Bartz is one of the most versatile musicians around, he has done everything from  bop to avantgarde, world music , but here he shows that he never forgot his bop roots. Somehow like Jackie McLean, but he could not be confused with Jackie McLean, he has a softer sound and more subtile phrasing.

That is true about Gary Bartz. Some years ago I saw him do a fusion-based gig with Eddie Henderson. With both artists I had a feeling that this stuff, where they majored in the 70s/80s, was not in line with their current norm. Both handled it with aplomb though.

Ivie was beyond category.

Ozzie Bailey, yeah! Tony Watkins too.

Other than Ivie, Ellington's vocalists, the male ones in particular, seem to have been less than universally loved in their time. There's been at best a partial market correction since. But jeez, they were pretty much always there in some form or fashion, so what does that say about Duke? Pretty much that that "thing" was a part of his palette and damned if he wasn't going to use it.

You can't see the whole picture unless you see every color, texture, shape, etc/whatever. And with Duke, there's no end to how much of that there is, from beginning to end. I entertain no illusions that I'll ever be able to see the entire picture all at once, other than the people who were there all the way, and ultimately, that's Duke and nobody else. It was his to create, it's ours to discover, and unless/until proven otherwise, it's as close to infinite as there is.

Now, having said all that - Money Johnson, hmmmm....

54 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ivie was beyond category.

Ozzie Bailey, yeah! Tony Watkins too.

Other than Ivie, Ellington's vocalists, the male ones in particular, seem to have been less than universally loved in their time. There's been at best a partial market correction since. But jeez, they were pretty much always there in some form or fashion, so what does that say about Duke? Pretty much that that "thing" was a part of his palette and damned if he wasn't going to use it.

You can't see the whole picture unless you see every color, texture, shape, etc/whatever. And with Duke, there's no end to how much of that there is, from beginning to end. I entertain no illusions that I'll ever be able to see the entire picture all at once, other than the people who were there all the way, and ultimately, that's Duke and nobody else. It was his to create, it's ours to discover, and unless/until proven otherwise, it's as close to infinite as there is.

Now, having said all that - Money Johnson, hmmmm....

Well put! :tup:tup:tup 

Still rolling with EKE this morning:

51tsePqirfL._SY400_.jpg

The Complete 1932-40 Brunswick, Columbia and Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Orchestra (Mosaic)
Disc 1

71lmia+H-wL._SS400_.jpg

Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit (Columbia/Legacy)