• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

A favorite here.

:tup

I think Rollins + Four was the first album I bought with money I had earned. Our record player was in the living room, where my Dad typically would sit down after dinner on the couch to read  the newspaper, while I quite obsessively for a time played "Pent Up House" over and over -- fascinated by Brownie's solo, particularly the burbling grace-noted passage toward the end, with Max boiling underneath. Finally one night my Dad looked up from his paper and said, "Don't you have another record!"

31 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I think Rollins + Four was the first album I bought with money I had earned. Our record player was in the living room, where my Dad typically would sit down after dinner on the couch to read  the newspaper, while I quite obsessively for a time played "Pent Up House" over and over -- fascinated by Brownie's solo, particularly the burbling grace-noted passage toward the end, with Max boiling underneath. Finally one night my Dad looked up from his paper and said, "Don't you have another record!"

:D ....

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I think that your father should have been pleased, when you think about what most teen-agers were listening to back then. :D

7 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Ha! I can't help repeating one of my jazz-obsessed-teenager-interacting-with-a-parent stories, although I know I've told it here before. I was 15 or 16, and had just found the Bird and Diz Verve LP, on which Norman Granz hired Buddy Rich to play drums. I was spinning it in the living room when my sweet mom walked through, carrying a basket of laundry. She stopped, listened for half a minute, and said, "That drummer doesn't really fit with the rest of the musicians, does he?"

Now playing:

717CvxhbyaL._SS500_.jpg

Tom McDermott and Connie Jones - Creole Nocturne (Arbors). RIP, Mr. Jones.