• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

MI0002476473.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I had the good chance to record Junior several times, and that occasion was the best...  He was really "on".  And for someone so blues-drenched, the range he exhibited on that night was revealing. Earthy, yet sophisticated, and always swinging.  His reading of Eliington's 'Single Petal Of A Rose' is exquisite.  I thank the late John Norris for pushing Junior to perform as a soloist.  He was reluctant to do so, and it was quite late in his career before he did, and I for one preferred Junior that way.

Edited by Ted O'Reilly
Fixed a typo. I hate typos.

6 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I had the good chance to record Junior several times, and that occasion was the best...  He was really "on".  And for someone so blues-drenched, the range he exhibited on that night was revealing. Earthy, yet sophisticated, and always swinging.  He reading of Eliington's 'Single Petal Of A Rose' is exquisite.  I thank the late John Norris for pushing Junior to perform as a soloist.  He was reluctant to do so, and it was quite late in his career before he did, and I for one preferred Junior that way.

Thanks Ted for posting that. It's a really fine record, which I've always enjoyed. You're right about the Ellington piece. 

Now:

51ANI6Mv5KL._SX342_.jpg

I've always liked this record.  Granted, I am a Monkees fan, so I had a predisposition for liking a Michael Nesmith project, but this has its own charm.  I also like the story behind its recording.  It was recorded over a weekend so all the studio musicians (including Victor Feldman, Hal Blaine, Earl Palmer, Chuck Berghofer, Tommy Tedesco, Frank Capp, James Burton, Jack Nimitz, Milt Bernhardt, Kenny Shroyer, Bud Brisbois, Jimmy Zito and Buddy Childers among others) got paid double time and the sessions had an open bar and were catered by Chasens restaurant.  Mr. Nesmith explained that he was going to owe a similar amount to the IRS so he said he'd rather spend it on these sessions & musicians and write it off.

"You Just May Be The One" sounds like if Stan Kenton and Nino Rota collaborated on a college marching band theme song.

Edited by duaneiac