Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cover_5545151552017_r.jpg

In real time, I found this one to be a little too transparent in its derivations to be fully enjoyable. Still feel that way, but with time and experience comes a perhaps more nuanced understanding of evolution, career paths, and all that good stuff, so let's just say that I appreciate this more now than I did then, without liking it any whole lot better.

George Duke was a creative guy with amazing chops, endless abilities, and no really focused organic musical identity. That's not a criticism, just an observation. The world needs people like that, they make significant contributions to other people's musics and are more than capable of making interesting/fun work on their own that will never be wholly unique. This is that.

Oh yeah, need to add that the amazing number of different derivations that Duke was absorbing - and processioning very knowingly - would be enough to paralyze (or even kill!) a lesser man with a slower mind and/or a weaker spirit.

44 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Vintage bop for big band. Great vocals by Mr. B, Sarah and one by Lena Horne, and top solos by Fats, Gene Ammons, Budd Johnson and very amusing announcements by the legendary Ernie "Bubbles" Whitman. Too bad there are not more of that kind....

images.jpg

So these are from AFRS Jubilee shows?