Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prestige Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, January 5, 1967

Tracklist: A1 Samba de Orfeu (Luiz Bonfà) A2 (Good) Morning Time 5:24 A3 Money (That's What I Want) (Bradford, Gordy) 11:00 A4 Stinky Fingers 15:24 B1 Here Comes The Mocha Man 19:27 B2 Johnnie's Comin' Home No More 24:47 B3 Warning Shot (Goldsmith) 30:04

Freddie Roach (og, voc) Vinnie Corrao (g) Eddie Gladden (dr) Ralph Dorsey (perc)

Thanks to YouTube for suggesting this one to me.  I'm ashamed to admit I never even heard of this guy before!  What was his story?

Westbound Records

Tracklist: A1 Mighty Mouse A2 Summer Breeze (Seals, Crofts) 5:23 A3 Sweet Children 11:12 B1 Funk It Down 16:54 B2 Living For The City (Stevie Wonder) 21:56 B3 Walking On The Side 28:17

Caesar Frazier (og, e-p, key) Horace Ott (arr, con, p, key) David Spinoza (g) Cornell Dupree, John Tropea, Richie Resnikoff (g) Wilbur Bascomb (e-b) Bernard Purdie (dr) tracks: A3-B2 Jimmy Young (dr) A1, A2, B3 Buddy Caldwell (perc) Joe Venuto (tamb) Joe Shepley, Jon Faddis (tp) Garnett Brown (tb) Charlie Brown (ts) Babe Clarke (bar)

Edited by duaneiac

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes it is. That LP (also later CD) is from the famous british Spotlite Label, a heaven on earth for bop fans.

I also heard other AFRS Jubilee shows with that funny MC, also on Spotlite. You hear his "thank youuuuu thank youuuu" also on a Jay McShann show on the second side of "Early Bird", and you hear him on "Bird in Lotusland" where he comments an encounter between Bird, Willie Smith and Benny Carter.........

He's got a small part in Stormy Weather. Many  (but not all) of the Jubilee shows are on-line. I downloaded  142 of them.

Edited by medjuck
punctuation

34 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Thanks to YouTube for suggesting this one to me.  I'm ashamed to admit I never even heard of this guy before!  What was his story?

Westbound Records

Tracklist: A1 Mighty Mouse A2 Summer Breeze (Seals, Crofts) 5:23 A3 Sweet Children 11:12 B1 Funk It Down 16:54 B2 Living For The City (Stevie Wonder) 21:56 B3 Walking On The Side 28:17

Caesar Frazier (og, e-p, key) Horace Ott (arr, con, p, key) David Spinoza (g) Cornell Dupree, John Tropea, Richie Resnikoff (g) Wilbur Bascomb (e-b) Bernard Purdie (dr) tracks: A3-B2 Jimmy Young (dr) A1, A2, B3 Buddy Caldwell (perc) Joe Venuto (tamb) Joe Shepley, Jon Faddis (tp) Garnett Brown (tb) Charlie Brown (ts) Babe Clarke (bar)

Houston Person (!!) ....

I think I share the opion some others here on the board have about Bud that they listen more to the later period. I have somehow difficulties to listen to those upper register ultra speed runs that are the trademark of the early Verves, like those ultra fast "Tea for Two" or "Get Happy" from Verve 1950 with an almost unheard Buddy Rich. Those ultrarapid runs and high piano notes may be virtuosity, but a bit too much of it.

The latterday Bud had slowed down a little and plays more in the middle register.

This record may not be as good as the extraordinary danish "Bouncin´ with Bud" or the top form solos of Bud on "Hawk in Germany", but it still is very much Bud Powell. Only technical purists may be annoyed by some little flubs here and there. But it´s interesting to compare this "Just One of those Things" with the a little bit too fast solo version on an earlier Verve.

The best track is "The Best Thing for You (is me)", it´s played almost with the same perfection and conception like on the danish "Bouncin´with".

And a really treasure is the Ballads. No one could give us a more lyrical and deeply emotional "Someone to Watch over me" or "If I loved you".

My CD also has to bonus tracks, a really solid "I Hear Music", and a moving "Autumn in New York" played on a slower pace than the original 1953 on Amazing Bud Powell Vol. II.

Unbenannt.png

:tup:tup:tup:tup Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

One of those albums i keep on playing. The album they put in the most effort. They wanted to create an album as perfect as it possibly gets.

3 lp's, beautifull packaging, artwork and of course music.

Personal life experiences from the duo in a jacket of Mystisicm, filled with distorted voices, nature sounds, broken beats, lush dreamy silk strings all flowing together masterfully.

4625.jpg

516DW6XSUkL.jpg

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I share the opion some others here on the board have about Bud that they listen more to the later period. I have somehow difficulties to listen to those upper register ultra speed runs that are the trademark of the early Verves, like those ultra fast "Tea for Two" or "Get Happy" from Verve 1950 with an almost unheard Buddy Rich. Those ultrarapid runs and high piano notes may be virtuosity, but a bit too much of it.

The latterday Bud had slowed down a little and plays more in the middle register.

This record may not be as good as the extraordinary danish "Bouncin´ with Bud" or the top form solos of Bud on "Hawk in Germany", but it still is very much Bud Powell. Only technical purists may be annoyed by some little flubs here and there. But it´s interesting to compare this "Just One of those Things" with the a little bit too fast solo version on an earlier Verve.

The best track is "The Best Thing for You (is me)", it´s played almost with the same perfection and conception like on the danish "Bouncin´with".

And a really treasure is the Ballads. No one could give us a more lyrical and deeply emotional "Someone to Watch over me" or "If I loved you".

My CD also has to bonus tracks, a really solid "I Hear Music", and a moving "Autumn in New York" played on a slower pace than the original 1953 on Amazing Bud Powell Vol. II.

Unbenannt.png

Very well put ....