Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MI0001507421.jpg

Steve Lacy - Live at Unity Temple (Wobbly Rail). I've always thought of this as a duet between Lacy and Frank Lloyd Wright. Tonight, with good headphones, I'm hearing it as a trio - Lacy Wright, and the traffic on Lake Street in Oak Park. In any case, Lacy's playing is just beautiful.

Edited by jeffcrom

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

061310.jpg

I remember when it came out, I think it had been unissued for decades. Anyway, everything that combines Bud with horn players inspires him very much and even that late he could do his best when he had the occasion to record in other units than just "trio".

This is top, much better than the a bit dull "Tribute to Thelonious". Other examples of Bud with Horns might be "Hawk in Germany", "Americans in Europe" (also with Byas and Idrees Sulieman !) , "Hot House"(with Johnny Griffin) ...

35 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Outstanding music ....

Some strange thing about some BN albums of the 60s is the titles, "Smokestack" I thought is a composition by Johnny Griffin on "Blowing Session", "Compulsion" I thought is a Miles composition on "Collector´s Items" , and "Wahoo" (Duke Pearson) I knew as a Dameron line on Perdido.

I haven´t heard that Andrew Hill "Compulsion" but I´m quite sure it is not related to the Miles composition.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember when it came out, I think it had been unissued for decades. Anyway, everything that combines Bud with horn players inspires him very much and even that late he could do his best when he had the occasion to record in other units than just "trio".

This is top, much better than the a bit dull "Tribute to Thelonious". Other examples of Bud with Horns might be "Hawk in Germany", "Americans in Europe" (also with Byas and Idrees Sulieman !) , "Hot House"(with Johnny Griffin) ...

Not to forget Bud with Johnny Griffin on "Idaho" (Xanadu). They both wail on that one.