• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really a treasure. Even after the departure of Dolphy and Jakie Byard (Byard at least temporarly) this is highly recommended. Maybe it´s one of Mingus´ thinnest instrumentations, only a quartet, but it has a very very high level of energy. Never heard Cliff Jordan more powerful than on this, and maybe Fables of Faubus (here titled "New Fables") has the most exiting bass solo I ever heard......., and Dannie Richmond is really hot, and not to forget the interesting choice of pianist Jane Getz....... , former Mingus man John Handy sittin in on Fables, doing a very bluesy solo....

Unbenannt.png

17 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

The Jazz Couriers With Ronnie Scott And Tubby Hayes ‎– In Concert (Music For Pleasure, 1958)

R-2978808-1331482682.jpeg.jpg

I was at this February 1958 concert at the Dominion Theatre London.   The Couriers were the support band for the Dave Brubeck Quartet.  My first jazz concert.

32 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I was at this February 1958 concert at the Dominion Theatre London.   The Couriers were the support band for the Dave Brubeck Quartet.  My first jazz concert.

That LP must have been one of the Tempo label’s best sellers, TAP 22 I think. Rare example of one of their releases being reissued on the ‘Music For Pleasure’ label and thereby purchasable at Woolworths !

On 3/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, jeffcrom said:

It has moments of incredible intensity, balanced with lyrical passages and some pretty funny musical satire.

R-1428014-1304981719.jpeg.jpg

Thanks or the comment Jeff. My memory has failed me completely here.   Well worth pulling out.  But then this board is great for this sort of thing.  I've pulled out dozens of recordings inspired by this topic  over the years which would otherwise still be languishing on my shelves unplayed for goodness knows how long. 

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

My first was in '57 in Leeds Town Hall with Lyttelton's controversial (among the traddies) new band with a saxophone section of Tony Coe, Jimmy Skidmore and Joe Temperley. I saw them again in the same venue touring with Jimmy Rushing and later Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

That LP must have been one of the Tempo label’s best sellers, TAP 22 I think. Rare example of one of their releases being reissued on the ‘Music For Pleasure’ label and thereby purchasable at Woolworths !

Was it on that one that Ronnie announced an album called "Elvis Presley Meets Thelonious Monk"? :D