So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

7 hours ago, BillF said:

My first was in '57 in Leeds Town Hall with Lyttelton's controversial (among the traddies) new band with a saxophone section of Tony Coe, Jimmy Skidmore and Joe Temperley. I saw them again in the same venue touring with Jimmy Rushing and later Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Was it on that one that Ronnie announced an album called "Elvis Presley Meets Thelonious Monk"? :D

A bit of googling reveals that, yes, it was at the Dominion Theatre concert that Ronnie said, "And now from a brand new LP which you may have seen in the shops, entitled Elvis Presley Sings Thelonious Monk ..." 

Ronnie the incomparable! :lol:

Incidentally, it was at a Manchester club called the Bodega that I saw the Jazz Couriers in the autumn of 1958.

The only other group I recall seeing at that venue was led by Wally Fawkes with Lennie Felix on piano. When I asked Lennie if he'd play "My Monday Date", he exclaimed, "You've been listening to Earl!" and took off with gusto.

So, quite broad listening tastes as an 18 year old!

Edited by BillF

• Replies 78.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, BillF said:

My first was in '57 in Leeds Town Hall with Lyttelton's controversial (among the traddies) new band with a saxophone section of Tony Coe, Jimmy Skidmore and Joe Temperley. I saw them again in the same venue touring with Jimmy Rushing and later Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Was it on that one that Ronnie announced an album called "Elvis Presley Meets Thelonious Monk"? :D

That Elvis story is in Simon Spillett’s excellent Tubby Hayes bio I think. Just been re-reading it.

freddie-hubbard.jpg