• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In general I don´t like to rate albums, since each album is important for it´s one.

But in this case I would say, it was the best mainstream-album of 1978, maybe the best Dexter album for CBS and maybe even one of Dexter´s all time best albums. Why? Because it´s done with his own working unit George Cables, Rufus Reis, Eddie Gladden and each of them can be heard soloing.

Too many companies had the tendency to grossly overproduce their albums, but this one is just the unit that played live. And as a live set sounds the program, the wonderful versions of Moment´s Notice, As Time Goes By, and Cables´ composition "I told you so": I remember I heard a live version of that tune that run more than 20 de minutes and Dex played soprano and each soloiest played his solo first in bossa, then in swing and then in double tempo swing, I think it was done on July 4th 1978 at Vanguard. What a perfect way to celebrate July 4th !!!!!

Unbenannt.png

59 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

In general I don´t like to rate albums, since each album is important for it´s one.

But in this case I would say, it was the best mainstream-album of 1978, maybe the best Dexter album for CBS and maybe even one of Dexter´s all time best albums. Why? Because it´s done with his own working unit George Cables, Rufus Reis, Eddie Gladden and each of them can be heard soloing.

Too many companies had the tendency to grossly overproduce their albums, but this one is just the unit that played live. And as a live set sounds the program, the wonderful versions of Moment´s Notice, As Time Goes By, and Cables´ composition "I told you so": I remember I heard a live version of that tune that run more than 20 de minutes and Dex played soprano and each soloiest played his solo first in bossa, then in swing and then in double tempo swing, I think it was done on July 4th 1978 at Vanguard. What a perfect way to celebrate July 4th !!!!!

Unbenannt.png

George Cables is outstanding here ....

took me forever to get this on cd and now i know why-- its by a cd manufacturing plant which i have no other cds from: Technidisc, who mainly did cd-roms but did start off doing cd orders.  fantastic fusion album, incl a fusion version of "seven steps to heaven"- its his song dawg- he can do it if he wants! lol

R-6037022-1409436062-8631.jpeg.jpg

god this album is so good

Hal Russell ——-NRG Ensemble———(Nessa)

prompted to look this out. Vital music, sounding utterly contemporary in the best sense. I recall being hesitant to check Russell out , fearing his music to be in some way forbidding. I couldn’t have been more wrong. It’s immediately engaging stuff which I’d highly recommend.

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Just another rock 'em sock 'em Clifford Scott instrumental until you consult the King discography (or other online sources) and take note of the band:

Clifford Scott 
Rec. July 8, 1958, Chicago 
Bob Bryant (tp), Clifford Scott (ts, fl), Andrew Hill (p), Wilbur Wynne (g), Malachi Favors (b), Earl Thomas (d)

Good Gosh          KING 5145 
Eastwood Blues   unissued ? 
Cuban Echoes      KING 5145 
Tossed Salad       KING 5836 

:o