• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

MI0000286118.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This one was the first I heard from Dexters "Prestige Years". Anyway I always have associated "Prestige" more with the 50's with Miles, Monk etc, and not with the 70's. But Dexter recorded a series of albums for that label between 1969 and 73. Not all of them are really exiting, but "Tangerine" is fantastic, and I love that rhythm section with Stanley Clark, he is the young face in that group and listen to his bass lines !

I also like the other record with the same personnel "Ca-Purange" but Tangerine is still the best.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

R-10300535-1497448151-4211.jpeg.jpg

Background to my current re-reading of Leitch's excellent autobiography:

512YNNakpOL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Strange, first time I see a record where I know only the "sidemen", know them very very well , but not the leader........ must admit I never heard about him and I listen and read about jazz since I was a teenager......really strange.....

20 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Strange, first time I see a record where I know only the "sidemen", know them very very well , but not the leader........ must admit I never heard about him and I listen and read about jazz since I was a teenager......really strange.....

Time to read his autobiography. It'll give you all the information you need!

3 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Both the CD and the book :tup

Now:

MI0000199442.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This trio, whether alone or backing horns, was excellent. Really tight and swinging all the way.   

I remember really liking LeDonne's 'Bout Time with the same trio plus Tom Harrell and Gary Smulyan.  I've seen LeDonne three times, backing Benny Golson, George Coleman and Curtis Fuller, which says a lot about him.

Now finishing:

image.jpg?c=7RBqum9sWw2xr1CvBCqVqwSijaXJ

Freddie Redd - Redd's Blues: I am absolutely befuddled by the so-so reviews of this one.