• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

R-2702136-1297320616.jpeg.jpg

Yeah, it´s Wayne Shorter Time. I love to listen to him in early spring, maybe because that was the period when I "discovered" him when I was a teenie, and all that stuff all that great music was still so completely new to me and I just heard some Shorter on a then available Miles Davis Sampler "Greatest Hits" and it had "E.S.P." on it, with Wayne of course. So out of that one tune and since I was so eager to get to know all those who became imediatly my personal "heroes'", I hurried to the next record shop and purchased "Schizophrenia", also a famous Shorter Album, and also with Herbie Hancock on it.

About Adams´Apple: I think it was recorded AFTER "The all seeing Eye" and maybe it´s a bit more conventional and easier to listen to than "All Seeing Eye", but that was just the BN philosophy then......

511V4Q5CP2L.jpg  51YYE8TWSML.jpg

I wish there had been a forward thinking music promoter back in the 1940's who could have seen the potential in presenting a concert featuring the musical contrasts and confluences of Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys and Eddie Condon and his gang.  Certainly there would have been a lot of overlap of familiar material between the two groups such as "12th Street Rag", "Elmer's Tune", "Corinne, Corinna", and "St. Louis Blues", all represented on these 2 discs -- in fact, Wills & Co. spend over 8 minutes split into two parts on a terrific performance of that last tune.  Texas Playboys such as pianist Millard Kelso, trumpeter Alex Brashear and electric mandolinist Tiny Moore would likely have felt right at home alongside guys from Condon's mob like Jimmy McPartland, Jess Stacy and Pee Wee Russell.  I would have loved to have heard the results of such a meeting.

MI0002337248.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This is a gem I found for a buck a few years ago and am listening to for the second time in a week.  Fans of Paul Motian's Electric Bebop Band, Bill Frisell, Brad Shepik, etc. should check it out.  There's a certain clarity and openness that makes it very appealing.  While saxophonist Jonathan Moritz has remained active on the freer side of things, guitarist Daniel Marcus appears to have moved on to a career as a singer/songwriter.

Since a few days "Redd´s Blues" was posted, where I must admit and wrote, that it´s not quite a favourite of mine (mostly due to the drummer ), this one is top. Here the superb front line McLean Brooks get´s great support from the great Louis Hayes, and the compositions are beautiful. It´s just mention "The Thespian" which is sheer beauty and let´s me think about green hills and horses (actually Freddie Redd once stated he´d wish to have a farm with horses), and the wonderful "Just a Ballad for my Baby" and "Swift" ultra fast, but the theme almost sounding like a broadway dance show, and not to forget Freddy Redd´s piano style, very individual, really .

index.jpg

Pandora dropped this into my lap on my highly undirected Fletcher Henderson station. It's stuff like this that makes me happy to set up a station, like just a few cuts up front, and then let it rip in search of more likes.

https://books.google.com/books?id=0uUvAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1815&lpg=PA1815&dq=Breakin%27+in+a+Pair+of+Shoes+frankie+trumbauer&source=bl&ots=jKC_L8_YFs&sig=ACfU3U0Tl6tZ4S098CMG8kkYWtBIJ8Mcpw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiK1bC6wbfhAhUN-6wKHYJtDFk4FBDoATAFegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=Breakin'%20in%20a%20Pair%20of%20Shoes%20frankie%20trumbauer&f=false