So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Yesterday evening .... :

Unbenannt.png

oh, one of my favourite Mingus albums. I got this one in april 1978 and still spin it very often. I remember how we all hummed those great tunes. Pepper Adams I think on "Moanin´" (which has nothing to do we Bobby Timmons´ Messengers tune with the same title), the fun of "Jelly Roll", and above all "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting". Fantastic band with Booker Erwin, Handy, Parlan, Knepper, and above all my favourite Danny Richmond. And Mingus plays some astonishing bass solos on this.

I think when spinning Minugs, two get most spinning: "Great Concert" and "Blues & Roots" ........, but I have a whole batch of Mingus albums......

Mingus was my hero of the youth, though I never could meet him, he was my mental "teacher". Through him I learned that there was Bird, through him I could make "the step beyond" to free forms, to Ornette and Cecil Taylor and so on.......

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

oh, one of my favourite Mingus albums. I got this one in april 1978 and still spin it very often. I remember how we all hummed those great tunes. Pepper Adams I think on "Moanin´" (which has nothing to do we Bobby Timmons´ Messengers tune with the same title), the fun of "Jelly Roll", and above all "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting". Fantastic band with Booker Erwin, Handy, Parlan, Knepper, and above all my favourite Danny Richmond. And Mingus plays some astonishing bass solos on this ....

Was released in the late seventies as Part of WEA Germanys "That's Jazz" series ....

48 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Chet Baker Quartet ‎– No Problem (SteepleChase, 1979)

R-4052225-1388945051-4391.jpeg.jpg

a wonderful record. I think, Chet played "No Problem" quite often, also after that collaboration with Duke Jordan. All his Steeplechase records are treasures. Next spinning would be the lovely "Daybreak".

15 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

a wonderful record. I think, Chet played "No Problem" quite often, also after that collaboration with Duke Jordan. All his Steeplechase records are treasures. Next spinning would be the lovely "Daybreak".

At your command! :lol:

NL: Chet Baker Trio ‎– Daybreak (SteepleChase, 1979)

R-5051205-1383163182-2903.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

At your command! :lol:

NL: Chet Baker Trio ‎– Daybreak (SteepleChase, 1979)

R-5051205-1383163182-2903.jpeg.jpg

Great, I love that record, and it´s a really nice photo of Chet, maybe one of the few moments in his life when he looks happy and relaxed. Those sandals, I saw him wearing sandals even when it was cold outside. The last time I saw him live (and it was a fantastic evening, he was on time and very articulate and in top form) was late 1987, and I was astonished that he wore those sandals without socks, maybe trumpet playing keeps feet warm :D

I'm listening to a compilation I made of all the tracks Ed Motta recorded over the course of a few years for a series of "Songbook" cd volumes featuring the compositions of Brazilian songwriters.

This is a great group of work and surprisingly administering them chronologically is a great sequence.

I love Motta's singing, composing and playing. He's a big man, and an even bigger talent.

ed_motta.jpg

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Great, I love that record, and it´s a really nice photo of Chet, maybe one of the few moments in his life when he looks happy and relaxed. Those sandals, I saw him wearing sandals even when it was cold outside. The last time I saw him live (and it was a fantastic evening, he was on time and very articulate and in top form) was late 1987, and I was astonished that he wore those sandals without socks, maybe trumpet playing keeps feet warm :D

Yep his "famous" sandals 😎 ....