Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bcd15933a_600x600.jpg

Discs 1 thru 3 of 11 (plus 1 DVD).  I recently bought a reasonably priced used copy of this Bear Family Bob Will set.  I have been havin' an ever=lovin' hoot listening to these recordings.  I had several other Bob Wills collections, the most extensive having been the Proper boxed set, but I had never gone this in depth into his recordings.  There's stuff here I never heard before.  Bob Wills strikes me as kind of the Woody Herman of Texas swing:  both men always fronted a very credible band, and managed to keep them on the road year in and year out; each band kept trying new material over the decades and did not try to exist merely as "greatest hits live" bands; each band featured soloists who would go on to become stars in their own right; and finally, each bandleader was a solid instrumentalist/charming vocalist who was not above a bit of humor to please the audiences. 

This is jazz with a country flavor, just as there can be jazz with the Latin tinge or a Brazilian flavor.  These guys do a version of "Lady Be Good" that is a jam session in which the Dorseys, Big T, Pee Wee, Wingy and Satchmo himself would have felt right at home.  While I had never heard Bob Wills do the Billy Eckstine classic "Dedicated To You" before (kind of charming, but yeah, he weren't no Mr. B), I'm pretty sure I also had never heard this version of "I'm A Doing Dong Daddy (From Dumas)" (and it was a close contest, but I believe the judges have called it a split-decision with top honors going to Wills and the Playboys over the Satchmo version -- and we're going to have to replay the tape any way because what was that Tommy Duncan was singing about "morphine, coke and snow"?  This is 1937, gentlemen!!!  Think of the tiny tots!!!)

7 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Speaking of The Little Giant, I just played this one. Aside from Johnny's fine solos, there are some wonderful piano solos by Sonny Clark. 

71Xt05a9gIL._AC_UL436_.jpg

I think it was hard to purchase for some time. With all those reissues there was soon "Blowin Session" on the RVG, but this one and Griffin´s first "Blowin in from Chicago" were hard to find and eventually I found "Chicago" as a Toshiba, and "Congretation" as a cardboard cover CD.

But I never understood why "Congretation" is so short. It runs about 30 minutes only.

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Last on

R-1114184-1193106394.jpeg.jpg

Argh.  My copy ended up in another album's case and is MIA.  

Just finished:

619qcDBixvL._SY400_.jpg

Ron Carter - Orfeu: Adding Houston Person and Bill Frisell to Carter's working band for a program of Brazilian music works.  Person always respects a song's melody and Frisell sounds like he is having a lot of fun.

And now:

CL062917.jpg?format=750w

Edited by Justin V