• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

610eg7B8NTL._SX355_.jpg

This is like listening to a really good pop record, only without the annoying LCD accommodations. Good tunes (Hello Roland Alexander & Charles Davis!) unexpected production appearance by Russell Jacquet, and oh look Gold Star Studios. So it IS like a really good pop record, now we can have an allowable # of degrees of separation between Mingus & Cher! How many would that be, 4? IMingus - Illinois/Russell - Gold Star - Cher, right?

I had bought a pretty plowed LP of this back in the 70s, remember liking a lot, playing it a few times, and then putting it away, glad to know THAT happened, etc.. Got this OJC god knows when, one of those file-away-until purchases, never opened it until today. Well, it's still good, and now all the scratches are gone. Win!

Can't compare this to "a really good pop record" and/or Cher. Don't listen to that kind of music. I just would call it a really good jazz record.

R-8646582-1545243301-8193.jpeg.jpg

"aggressive music of rhythmic amplification" says Mr. Litweitler, in the liners. Indeed it is.

It is also sublimely conversational. Very interesting to hear Walter Booker get in between Higgins/Walton/Mobley and add his own thing without distracting from theirs.

Amazing how there are no horns or hands or fingers on this record, just rhythmic sounds that come in and out of each other, any one of them never blocking any of the others.

This is Jackie's first album as a leader. I remember finding a copy on the Ad Lib label at a small shop in Detroit when it was first released. Jackie's great emotional playing grabbed me right from the start. I most likely had heard him previously with Miles Davis on his Prestige or Blue Note sides.

I learned many years later that there were very few of the Mclean Ad Lib label records issued. Not sure I ever knew of anyone who had a copy besides me.

iu.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

This is Jackie's first album as a leader. I remember finding a copy on the Ad Lib label at a small shop in Detroit when it was first released. Jackie's great emotional playing grabbed me right from the start. I most likely had heard him previously with Miles Davis on his Prestige or Blue Note sides.

I learned many years later that there were very few of the Mclean Ad Lib label records issued. Not sure I ever knew of anyone who had a copy besides me.

iu.jpeg

Interestingly this has been reissued on cd at least twice officially from Japan, and at least once from the gray marketers in Europe, and there are probably many more cd copies out there than LP copies! An interesting session.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

Can't compare this to "a really good pop record" and/or Cher. Don't listen to that kind of music. I just would call it a really good jazz record.

This is indeed a very good jazz record. Haven't played it in a few years but it had a heavy rotation when I first purchased it. Quintessential hard bop. 

61iwRpeskVL._SY355_.jpg

People who enthuse over the "debut album" formula of some standards, some blues, and just a few originals, hey - here's your record, formula all the way.

The only problem is, it's the "formula" inclusions that bring the record down. Cutely arranged standards, etc, they sound like the belong op\n a Bennie Green record, except Priester is not Bennie Green. Bennie Green is Bennie Green, Bennie Green had all the Bennie Green covered, ok?

So what's left are a few originals (mostly  without Jimmy Heath, which works out just fine in this case) that are above-average in terms of interest, very nice pieces. But as soon as you get ready for the next one, UH-oh, here comes that "formula" again and jeezeys crapappers, Orrin Keepnews, this is why Riverside never gained the cachet that Blue Note did, because Albert Lion probably would have crafted a better presentation for Julian Priester's debut album, simple as that. At least in theory. Riverside was where Priester had his hookups, Griff, Max, Wilbur Ware. That's how it works. And that's why Jimmy Heath is on this record not adding anything except being there and playing well enough on the tunes he plays on. Records be business too, not just music.Julian Preister WAS going to be on Riverside for his debut album if he was going to be anywhere.

In spite of all that, the opportunity to hear the Jones Sam and Elvin commiserate on every cut is indeed a rare and true delight!

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

image.jpg?c=i7NLFJfJ506oNB5AuCP114Af7E_1

"Interesting but not essential," says the AMG review. Well, it's essential for me - a superb Ellington recording IMHO, and one of my favorites, for sure.  

That's the album that made me love Ellington's music!

Just spinning:

R-3068431-1314213378.jpeg.jpg