• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Justin V said:

MI0001689304.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Wardell Gray - Memorial Album, Vol. 1: It is fascinating to hear Roy Haynes this early in his career (well, at any point in his career).  I'll have to revisit his work with Bird and Getz that he recorded within about 6 months of the Gray material and the earlier Pres Aladdin material.

Yeah and Al Haig on piano, who of course also had played with Bird and Getz. I think Roy Haynes was much enough in action in the late 40´s, he also had recorded with Bud´s Modernists, and he played with Lester Young.

Wardell Gray is fantastic here, as is the rhythm section. The ballads are great !

MI0000170462.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Verve Elite Edition

23 hours ago, Justin V said:

MI0001689304.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Wardell Gray - Memorial Album, Vol. 1: It is fascinating to hear Roy Haynes this early in his career (well, at any point in his career).  I'll have to revisit his work with Bird and Getz that he recorded within about 6 months of the Gray material and the earlier Pres Aladdin material.

Ray Avery took that shot ! He very kindly sold me a signed print of a photo taken literally seconds from this one, which ever since has had pride of place on my wall.

I have the feeling that the trumpeter in the photo was Conte Candoli.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:13 AM, Larry Kart said:

Thanks for the tip. Missed it back when, ordered it now.

My recently arrived reissue of "Vibrations" was coupled with Milt's "Statements," an Impulse quartet  date from 1960 IIRC, with Hank Jones, Paul Chambers, and Connie Kay. Very good, and with some of the loosest and most inspired Jones I've ever heard -- inspired by Bags's presence I'd guess.

The Clifford Brown Max Roach Quintet played at the Rouge Lounge in Detroit from June 5, 1956 through June 10,1956. Though I do not recall the specific date, I went to hear that group during that stay at the Rouge Lounge. I was shocked when I learned that Clifford Brown died in an automobile accident  on June 26, 1956. 

511o1094lOL._AC_UL436_.jpg

5 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

The Clifford Brown Max Roach Quintet played at the Rouge Lounge in Detroit from June 5, 1956 through June 10,1956. Though I do not recall the specific date, I went to hear that group during that stay at the Rouge Lounge. I was shocked when I learned that Clifford Brown died in an automobile accident  on June 26, 1956. 

IIRC, the engagement that Clifford, Richie Powell et al. were driving to was at Chicago's Modern Jazz Room. I was all het up to go -- that required some planning because I was underage and an adult (probably my Dad) would have to accompany me -- but then came the news.

MI0000431822.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

McCoy Tyner - Counterpoints: Live in Tokyo (Milestone)
Recorded in '78 but not released until '04.  From the same concert that produced Passion Dance.  Trio with Ron & Tony on 2 of 5 cuts; other tracks are solo.

Tremendous!

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

:tup

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

e2cf2d88e57c59af9289a4f6e8d6943422db83ad

Hank Mobley (!!) ....

:tup

Now listening to:

51P8JKdKLoL._SY355_.jpg

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

IIRC, the engagement that Clifford, Richie Powell et al. were driving to was at Chicago's Modern Jazz Room. I was all het up to go -- that required some planning because I was underage and an adult (probably my Dad) would have to accompany me -- but then came the news.

I was also very slightly underage, but had a fake ID that I used to get in to the Rouge Lounge. Also used the fake ID to get in to hear jazz at a few other clubs during that same general time period.