Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pi65_cover-1024x920.jpg

This is the kind of record I wish had come out when I had time to just listen to one side of one record at a time, over and over, days/weeks of nothing else, learn every little thing on there inside and out.

Now that I don't have that kind of time, I wish he had edited his composition to make it more compact...or take one or two parts and expand them out as a record unto themselves. But that's my problem, not his. This is fertile music indeed, and even if you can "spot the influence" at any given time, there's a momentum that has me hoping that this is nowhere near the final form this man's music is going to take.

Onward!

Gosh, I just LOVE this album.  I keep coming back to listen to it on YouTube every few days lately:

Mr. Sullivan, on this album, displays the ideal mix of genuine artistry and unabashed showmanship which is right in my listening zone.  If this album has not been reissued on CD, then it is certainly a buried jazz treasure.  If you don't have time to listen to the whole album right now, the above video is cued up to a joyous little audio portrait sure to put a smile on the face of any one who has/has had a little four-legged, furry friend, "Frolicking Fido".  After that's over, you may as well stick around for the last tune, a swinging, sumptuous "Keepin' Out of Mischief". 

Maynard, Newport 1959

https://www.wolfgangs.com/music/maynard-ferguson-and-orchestra/audio/20020375-50742.html?tid=4861547

Maynard Ferguson - trumpet, conductor;

Don Sebesky, Slide Hampton, Charles Greenlee - trombone;

Jerry Tyree; Don Ellis, Chet Ferretti - trumpet

Jimmy Ford - alto sax; Wayne Shorter - tenor sax; Willie Maiden - tenor sax; Frank Hittner - baritone sax;

Joe Zawinul - piano; Jimmy Rowser - bass; Frankie Dunlop - drums

Could not find an image for this CD.

Frank Tenot presents ...

Harry Edison Six - How Long, How long Blues - ZYX Music VILCD 1004-2

with: Mike Wofford (piano), Curtis Pearger (alto sax), Keter Betts (Bass), Harry Edison (trumpet),  Bobby Durham (drums), Snooky Young (trumpet)

Recorded : March 11 & 12, 1991

Produced by Norman Granz

6 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

51YuGbtgi4L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Wonderful album with a special story for me, since it was just the second Mingus album I got, more than 40 years ago. Wendesday Night Prayer Meeting fascinated me from the first moment on, everything, Cryin´Blues, Moanin´ , E´s flat A´s flat too........

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Wonderful album with a special story for me, since it was just the second Mingus album I got, more than 40 years ago. Wendesday Night Prayer Meeting fascinated me from the first moment on, everything, Cryin´Blues, Moanin´ , E´s flat A´s flat too........

My first heard Mingus album too. It was in 1961 when I was at university.