• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, kinuta said:

Image result for complete billie holiday lester young

Heard this yesterday while marveling at the goodies in Disk Union Kichijoji Audio Shop.

Of course it was playing on an impossibly amazing set up.

I was so mesmerized I didn't realize that I had the set at home :)

c0329715_18343395.jpg

:D ....

6 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Any further insights? Bushell was 81 years old at the time of the recording...

He certainly doesn't sound like 81 on this recording. Soprano saxist Richard Hadlock has equal solo space. Bushell is an excellent player in the New Orlenas tradition with a personal style, not as individual as Pee Wee Russell or Edmond Hall, but nice to listen to. There are some bassoon solos as well. The recorded sound is excellent, a lovingly üroduced tribute like all the Delmark CDs with veteran players. 

Edited by mikeweil

Milford Graves——-Babi———-(CvsD)

not sure what to make of this one. Perhaps it’s me rather than the music. I made mistake of playing unreleased disc 2 first.  It features underwater recordings of Arthur Doyle and Hugh Glover honking, screaming over tornado like sounds of Graves. Easy listening I wasn’t expecting but this make Akira Sakata seem like David Sanborn.  

The sound of the first disc is much better being recorded properly but the music is violent and visceral as ever. It’s exceptionally challenging and could only be safely played when Mrs Clunky was out of the house. Even the dogs seemed to struggle giving me the ‘why did you take off that nice Blake/Lee disc to play this!!!’ 

Anyone else to listened and able to enlighten me. I’ll give it plenty of more spins to see if I can “get it”. Might take some time..... 

4 minutes ago, Clunky said:

not sure what to make of this one. Perhaps it’s me rather than the music. I made mistake of playing unreleased disc 2 first.  It features underwater recordings of Arthur Doyle and Hugh Glover honking, screaming over tornado like sounds of Graves. Easy listening I wasn’t expecting but this make Akira Sakata seem like David Sanborn.  

The sound of the first disc is much better being recorded properly but the music is violent and visceral as ever. It’s exceptionally challenging and could only be safely played when Mrs Clunky was out of the house. Even the dogs seemed to struggle giving me the ‘why did you take off that nice Blake/Lee disc to play this!!!’ 

Anyone else to listened and able to enlighten me. I’ll give it plenty of more spins to see if I can “get it”. Might take some time..... 

It was on my 'to buy list' but I did some sampling online (from one of the unmentionable sites) and decided to relegate it to the 'one day, maybe' list.

I'll be interested to hear if you, the dogs or even Mrs C eventually come to love it

I'm now hearing Akira Sakata playing on 'Young Americans', interesting isn't the word...

Booker Ervin "The In Between" Blue Note (Solid State) Japan SHM-CD

631439.jpg

Bass – Cevera Jeffries Jr.
Drums – Lenny McBrowne
Piano – Bobby Few Jr.
Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Written-By – Booker Ervin
Trumpet – Richard Williams  

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

I love it personally, there's really nothing else quite like it. I think Doyle & Glover acquit themselves well, but Graves is, unsurprisingly, the key to what holds the whole thing together; if you listen for what he's doing polyrhythmically and how he's driving the momentum of the playing and shifting the textures & topography of the music with both his instrument and his body, it begins to make perfect sense, at least to me. I find it incredibly exciting.