Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, BillF said:

I saw Albany play in the early 70s - solo (and untuned) piano in an upstairs room in a Manchester pub. Appearance arranged by British jazz entrepreneur Tony Martin. Did anyone else see the master live or am I the only member of that in-crowd?

I remember reading about his UK touring of that time in Jazz Journal. About the same time Al Haig was touring over here I think.

cover.ki

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I remember reading about his UK touring of that time in Jazz Journal. About the same time Al Haig was touring over here I think.

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I saw Haig too, "saw" being the operative word as Band on the Wall was so full that I got inside the street door but no further - the maestro was almost out of earshot! :huh:

Edited by BillF

16 hours ago, BillF said:

I saw Albany play in the early 70s - solo (and untuned) piano in an upstairs room in a Manchester pub. Appearance arranged by British jazz entrepreneur Tony Martin. Did anyone else see the master live or am I the only member of that in-crowd?

I knew Joe pretty well and saw him frequently - he even had a regular solo gig for a while at the top of the World Trade Center - also, he played at my wedding in 1982. I loved Joe, though he could be difficult, and he had these little gaps that caused him to get lost in the music from time to time. I still have some nice tapes of him playing solo. Funny, smart guy who just did too many drugs (he enjoyed telling me about the horse tranguilizer he took, and about sharing needles with Bird).