• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

We Get Requests

I wouldn´t say I´m a big Oscar Peterson fan, but this album has a special meaning to me. A friend of mine at high school had it when I was just starting to listen to jazz. See, Oscar Peterson was something that people dug who otherwise didn´t listen to jazz .

But later, just a few years ago I bought the CD just for historical reasons, since I liked it so much when I was still a boy.

And I want to say, I like THIS, and "Nighttrain" best. I don´t usually listen much to Peterson, but what I like on those albums is that Mr. Peterson doesn´t "overdo" the stuff. He had a helluva technique, but this here is really a beauty, nice spare piano, things that I can dig after a day of hard work when I maybe dont want to "figure out" heavier stuff like Mingus or Trane or whatever......

R-2978829-1338915605-9884.jpeg.jpg

Cannonball Adderley - Them Dirty Blues: This has become my go-to Cannonball album and is becoming an all-time favorite.  It is a trip going from the more familiar Timmons/Jones/Hayes team to  the tracks with Barry Harris.  In terms of performance, choice of material and sound quality, the album is flawless, IMO.

51L4GNoTOUL.jpg

Bennie Wallace - Big Jim's Tango (Enja)

16 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Cannonball Adderley - Them Dirty Blues: This has become my go-to Cannonball album and is becoming an all-time favorite.  It is a trip going from the more familiar Timmons/Jones/Hayes team to  the tracks with Barry Harris.  In terms of performance, choice of material and sound quality, the album is flawless, IMO.

That's one of my favorites by Cannonball too. :tup

Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" Mobile Fidelity Lab
UDSACD2208-2T.jpg

I listened to this SACD again and I have to say. . . I wouldn't change a thing about the sound. This listen made me clearly realize how amazing the original engineering was for this record--the engineering tells the story of the arrangements and soloists and the ebullient leader and his direction. The tonal balance, the resolution that resolves the direct and ambient sound, the dynamics. . . this is a great sounding disc.

And I have listened to two more of the 80th Anniversary CDs from Blue Note Japan, Lou Donaldson's "Lou Takes Off" and Donald Byrd's "Blackjack." Both sounded very good.

4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" Mobile Fidelity Lab
UDSACD2208-2T.jpg

I listened to this SACD again and I have to say. . . I wouldn't change a thing about the sound. This listen made me clearly realize how amazing the original engineering was for this record--the engineering tells the story of the arrangements and soloists and the ebullient leader and his direction. The tonal balance, the resolution that resolves the direct and ambient sound, the dynamics. . . this is a great sounding disc.

And I have listened to two more of the 80th Anniversary CDs from Blue Note Japan, Lou Donaldson's "Lou Takes Off" and Donald Byrd's "Blackjack." Both sounded very good.

Teo Macero mix right? I ordered a copy at a local store last week.

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

image.jpg?c=fz32pYMLpTZcEOAulLTvcD6KsMtt

I found this in a store for 8 or 10 bucks within a year before Bluiett passed.  I am finally making my way through a full listen.  Talk about tone!

Well captured baritone, right? 

There was a more affordable NM copy of the India Navigation set on Discogs a couple of months ago, but the seller would not ship to Europe. Even then, import taxes can kill you if a seller does not know how to or isn't willing to help get(ting) your item through customs. This seller does and is reliable in his grading. I couldn't pass this up after having searched so long. And of course I have had a FLAC copy on my hard drive for ages, so I knew the money would be well spent.

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I wouldn´t say I´m a big Oscar Peterson fan, but this album has a special meaning to me. A friend of mine at high school had it when I was just starting to listen to jazz. See, Oscar Peterson was something that people dug who otherwise didn´t listen to jazz .

But later, just a few years ago I bought the CD just for historical reasons, since I liked it so much when I was still a boy.

And I want to say, I like THIS, and "Nighttrain" best. I don´t usually listen much to Peterson, but what I like on those albums is that Mr. Peterson doesn´t "overdo" the stuff. He had a helluva technique, but this here is really a beauty, nice spare piano, things that I can dig after a day of hard work when I maybe dont want to "figure out" heavier stuff like Mingus or Trane or whatever......

"Something that people dug who otherwise didn't listen to jazz". An interesting topic. I have also come across this in the case of Peterson, as well as Kind of Blue. Any more? Perhaps we should have a topic on this.

Re Peterson, I understand your misgivings. I prefer him in piano, guitar, bass format with Kessel and Brown in the early 50s before technique ran away with him.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

"Something that people dug who otherwise didn't listen to jazz". An interesting topic. I have also come across this in the case of Peterson, as well as Kind of Blue. Any more? Perhaps we should have a topic on this.

Who knows or cares what brings people to jazz. It does not matter. There's no reason you can't dive straight into the more far out stuff. I hate these proposed itineraries for the inexperienced listener.