Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Lou Donaldson "Here 'Tis" Analogue Productions SACD of Blue Note material.

lou_donaldson-here_tis1.jpg

MI0002906300.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Lucy's out and about this morning giving me a rare chance to listen

Gave my SHM cd a spin yesterday.  Nice stuff.

Also yesterday

51ZSEVC5RGL._SY355_.jpg

Grant_Green-Idle_Moments.jpg

R-4772606-1438109482-4783-jpeg.jpg

McCoy Tyner Sahara (UCCO-5147)

2007 DSD remaster by Kazuie Sugimoto. First impression: I believe this sounds less flat than other digital editions. More enjoyable. A bit top heavy in places, but I believe this was also the case for a lot of the vinyl editions. Remains a poor (piano) recording.  I wouldn't be surprised if I end up preferring this to the CD layer of the MFSL Hybrid SACD. 1987 OJC CD was awful.

Very glad I got this. I believe this was reissued in 2012 as a budget CD (UCCO-90096). 

6 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Dave Turner is not well known outside of Canada. But he is a wonderful very very swinging alto player. This CD is highly recommended

51CSPEyfwrL._AC_UL436_.jpg

...and the late guitarist Nelson Symonds is one of those tragically under-recognized players.  Had to quit playing after a serious heart condition.

ADD:  Peter Friedman, I remain amazed at the breadth of your knowledge, and collection...

The sound is barely adequate, but the playing is fine!

71KUQI2ZwTL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Ted O'Reilly
addition

6 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

...and the late guitarist Nelson Symonds is one of those tragically under-recognized players.  Had to quit playing after a serious heart condition.

Wow. Thanks for this info.  I'm a great fan of Nelson Symonds (between 1961-1965 I probably saw him 50 times) but didn't know about this cd.  Searching for it on Amazon I discovered that  there's another recording by them that's not available  on cd but which you can stream!

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Wow. Thanks for this info.  I'm a great fan of Nelson Symonds (between 1961-1965 I probably saw him 50 times) but didn't know about this cd.  Searching for it on Amazon I discovered that  there's another recording by them that's not available  on cd but which you can stream!

Nelson received instant world-wide fame when Wes Montgomery named Nelson as his favorite guitar player in an interview that's available on you tube.

I'll be looking for that Dave turner album with NS, also.