Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, BillF said:

On the same tour local jazz presenter Graham Brook is pitting him against Gilad Atzmon. That should be some gig, providing of course that that those out to stop Gilad's appearances don't get there first!

Gilad’s ‘Orient House Ensemble’ is on the bill on the Saturday night. Hope to catch them.

MI0000098108.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by sidewinder

413HmRd5Z1L._SY400_.jpg

Erwin Schmidt - Dorothy's Valentine: I bought this after Georghe posted about the death of Walther Großrubatscher, the drummer on the date.  Based on this excellent album, he deserved to be more widely known.  Fans here of piano trios should check it out.

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now listening to Joe Henderson's Milestone set, Disc 4:

R-8677453-1481639731-2232.jpeg.jpg

These cuts were originally released as In Pursuit of Blackness -- and three-fourths of Joe Henderson in Japan.

Milestone was a fantastic label ! They really did something for acoustic musicians when others didn´t record them. And all those albums they made, they sounded so modern, so hip and quick.

I think Joe Henderson did some of his best work for Milestone, he never sounded better. Even the more overproduced studio thing "Canyon Lady" doesn´t sound like cheap studio crap, it is a fine album and captures much of Henderson´s virtuosity.

All those Milestone Artists made some of their very best stuff during those years, Rollins, McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, and of course Joe Henderson.

I think they also were scheduled for festivals as part of the "Milestone Family", because how otherwise I could explain that in 1979 in Velden we had so many "Milestone Artists" (Rollins, Ron Carter, Joe Henderson, they all were scheduled)........

12 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Milestone was a fantastic label ! They really did something for acoustic musicians when others didn´t record them. And all those albums they made, they sounded so modern, so hip and quick.

I think Joe Henderson did some of his best work for Milestone, he never sounded better. Even the more overproduced studio thing "Canyon Lady" doesn´t sound like cheap studio crap, it is a fine album and captures much of Henderson´s virtuosity.

Yeah, I agree that Henderson made some superb records for Milestone. Sonny and McCoy too -- and many others besides. :tup

NP:

51PXNA4p8XL._SX495_.jpg

Abdullah Ibrahim - Zimbabwe (Enja)

13 minutes ago, BillF said:

81GPwJAaZ-L._SS500_.jpg

they are wonderful ! When I was younger I had difficulties to tell from the record who of them is soloing, but later I learned to figure out how Zoot Sims phrases and how Al Cohn. It´s fascinating how long there collaboration went on. First I got aware of them on "Miles and Horns", than on that "Tenor Conclave". Too bad I never caught Zoot Sims "live" but I saw Al Cohn once with Woody Herman in a rare "All Star Small Group", a wonderful experience.....

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

All those Milestone Artists made some of their very best stuff during those years, Rollins, McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, and of course Joe Henderson.

I think they also were scheduled for festivals as part of the "Milestone Family", because how otherwise I could explain that in 1979 in Velden we had so many "Milestone Artists" (Rollins, Ron Carter, Joe Henderson, they all were scheduled)........

I have a quite different opinion. I much prefer the recordings of Joe Henderson on Blue Note,  Sonny Rollins on both Prestige and Blue Note. My favorite playing by Mccoy Tyner was as a sideman on Blue Note.

Different strokes ...

Now listening to:

R-10449808-1497682313-6153.jpeg.jpg

R-3223370-1327043693.jpeg.jpg

A smooth album, but that doesn't make it smooth jazz.  This group still swings.  It's a quartet session (with drummer Joe Ascione, rhythm guitarist Corey Christiansen and bassist Tom Kennedy) in which the group was so in the groove that they recorded these 14 tracks in just 4 hours!  Some nice arrangements help liven up these classic tunes.