Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a0741262953_16.jpg

Fifth - The only recording by this collective featuring pianist John Chin (one of my favorite recent discoveries), Tivon Pennicott on tenor, Stacy Dillard on soprano, Spencer Murphy on bass and the late Lawrence Leathers on drums.  It is divided between modern, melodic compositions and free improvisations.  The funny thing is that I haven't listened to the physical CD, as the Bandcamp download included several bonus tracks.

Edited by Justin V

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Earlier today .... :

272ed1bfc87b881ef4fbf706ea3d85ef3953a45a

The 4 Prestiges "Cookin´, Relaxin´, Workin´ and Steamin´ always have been favourites of mine, they would be records for the "Island". Somehow I find the first Prestige record of the 1.st Quintet, simply called "Miles" not so exiting like those four records.

"Steamin´" was one of the very first "jazz records" I had, I think the other records were available only on expensive japanese LP pressings.

38 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

The 4 Prestiges "Cookin´, Relaxin´, Workin´ and Steamin´ always have been favourites of mine, they would be records for the "Island". Somehow I find the first Prestige record of the 1.st Quintet, simply called "Miles" not so exiting like those four records.

"Steamin´" was one of the very first "jazz records" I had, I think the other records were available only on expensive japanese LP pressings.

Agreement on the "island" status ....  bought these as Victor Japan reissues in the later 70's ....

But Gheorghe and Soulpope ... Surely the GERMAN Bellaphon license-pressed Prestige reissues must have been available in Austria too at that time. "Steamin'" was on Bellaphon BJS 4054 throughout the second half of the 70s. And during the same period "Cookin'" and "Relaxin'" were available on the Bellaphon BLST 6511 twofer (= Prestige 24001).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But Gheorghe and Soulpope ... Surely the GERMAN Bellaphon license-pressed Prestige reissues must have been available in Austria too at that time. "Steamin'" was on Bellaphon BJS 4054 throughout the second half of the 70s. And during the same period "Cookin'" and "Relaxin'" were available on the Bellaphon BLST 6511 twofer (= Prestige 24001).

There was also the ‘Complete Prestige Recordings’ 12LP set around that time - maybe very early 1980s. That was how I picked them up - from Mole as a sleeveless set at their annual sale, £1.50 per LP I think.