So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But Gheorghe and Soulpope ... Surely the GERMAN Bellaphon license-pressed Prestige reissues must have been available in Austria too at that time. "Steamin'" was on Bellaphon BJS 4054 throughout the second half of the 70s. And during the same period "Cookin'" and "Relaxin'" were available on the Bellaphon BLST 6511 twofer (= Prestige 24001).

True .... but my trusted dealer of "Red Octopus Records" fame had the japanese beauties available .... I didn't hesitate for a minute ....

Edited by soulpope

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

51qShZcUqML.jpg

Again an "Island record". One of the best, if I could keep only one Wayne Shorter BN I´d keep this one.

@Big Beat Steve.: Yes it was Bellaphone Import. The "Steaming" was as a single LP with another cover photo than the original Steamin, and others were twofers (right, Prestige 24000 series. 

I had one of it with a cover photo of Miles in the 70´s at the boxing gym, which has nothing to do with the content, since the content was most of the pre 55 Miles, which I later purchased as "Dig", "Miles and Horns" "Blue Haze" "Walkin" "Bag´s Groove" and "Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants...... (I hope I didn´t forgether any). 

One record that always was particular interesting for me was "Musings of Miles" since it points out torward the first classic quintet, with Garland and Philly J.J. on it....

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Agreed.

Now playing:

51G5BV%2BjA9L._SY355_.jpg

Also a record for the Island.....

image.jpg?c=fmg4iTqbzkDbbqWxazSiqd_M69_U

Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests: It had been some time since I'd last listened to this and this is the second spin since yesterday.  I am pretty flummoxed by Scott Yanow's two-star review as this might be my favorite Peterson album.  I plan on revisiting more Peterson this week. 

Glad it made it . . . your check arrived yesterday as well.

Right now, the second and perhaps best big band record from Duke Pearson "Now Hear This" Blue Note Japan TOCJ SHM-CD
DUKEPEARSONnowhearthis.jpg

Followed by a real favorite, the Brazilian music album from Duke Pearson, "It Could Only Happen with You". . . excellent Flora Purim vocals.
Blue Note Japan (EMI) cd.
Duke+Pearson(It+Could+Only+Happen+With+Y

I just read the wiki article on "It Can Only Happen with You" and totally disagree with the review there. Too bad this was Duke's final album as he was one of the very finest American jazz musicians interpreting and arranging the then changing Brazilian music and I would have loved to see how that developed. He was far too young, we should have had many more years of his great work.

Now something very different, Larry Young "Heaven on Earth" on a Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissue cd from Japan. 

Blue+Note+-+4304.jpg

I confess I disagree with the review quoted in the wiki article for this album as well. What a shame we lost Larry Young so early as well. He was an explorer!

Edited by jazzbo

Lon, I haven't seen that review, but I am very fond of that (last) Pearson album. I already had a copy of it, taken from vinyl, but I recently got a Japanese CD of it.

Duke was working on another album, recorded at two sessions, earlier that year, but two of the tracks have never been issued, and one, "Dialogo", only appeared briefly in a "Mosaic Select" set. The tracks from those sessions that have been issued are excellent. I would love to have all three of the tracks, to make up an album (as Duke intended). We owe Michael Cuscuna an immense debt for his reissue work over many years, but if he disliked a track, then it wasn't coming out, and that was that. The session reels will soon decompose. 

We have seen "rejected" tracks eventually issued, so the distinction between "rejected" and "unissued" is muddy.

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

image.jpg?c=fmg4iTqbzkDbbqWxazSiqd_M69_U

Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests: It had been some time since I'd last listened to this and this is the second spin since yesterday.  I am pretty flummoxed by Scott Yanow's two-star review as this might be my favorite Peterson album.  I plan on revisiting more Peterson this week. 

I wasn't exactly "flummoxed" by that review as my "stock" of OP records is rather spotty so I wouldn't be able to compare, really, but I found it rather unfair too. Ever since I bought it secondhand a few years ago this has been one of my favorite very late-night "jazz to relax to" LPs ;) for quite some time.

51VSZAuAYrL._SX355_.jpg

Y'know what's a catchy tune?  This here is.   But be warned:  one day -- maybe a week from now, maybe a month, maybe a year or more -- you'll find yourself mindlessly humming or whistling this tune and you'll think, "What IS that?  Where did THAT come from?"

You're welcome.

Mccoy Tyner "Extensions" Blue Note cd, EMI Japan

extensions.jpg

3 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Lon, I haven't seen that review, but I am very fond of that (last) Pearson album. I already had a copy of it, taken from vinyl, but I recently got a Japanese CD of it.

Duke was working on another album, recorded at two sessions, earlier that year, but two of the tracks have never been issued, and one, "Dialogo", only appeared briefly in a "Mosaic Select" set. The tracks from those sessions that have been issued are excellent. I would love to have all three of the tracks, to make up an album (as Duke intended). We owe Michael Cuscuna an immense debt for his reissue work over many years, but if he disliked a track, then it wasn't coming out, and that was that. The session reels will soon decompose. 

We have seen "rejected" tracks eventually issued, so the distinction between "rejected" and "unissued" is muddy.

Here's the review (it's from allmusic.com originally).

"Duke Pearson followed the conventions of the time and cut a smooth, commercially-oriented jazz album that made allusions to traditional and contemporary pop, hard bop, soul-jazz and bossa nova... Although the record is a pleasant artifact of its time, it's a rather sad, undistinguished way to close out Pearson's career."

Reads like BS to me.