Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-5485917-1398302776-5752.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1, Session A: I found Discs 1-6  for a great price on eBay last year.  I'll probably never own the whole set unless I sell the physical discs to finance the download purchase.  At any rate, I'm happy to at least have such a healthy chunk of prime Jamal.  

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

R-5485917-1398302776-5752.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1, Session A: I found Discs 1-6  for a great price on eBay last year.  I'll probably never own the whole set unless I sell the physical discs to finance the download purchase.  At any rate, I'm happy to at least have such a healthy chunk of prime Jamal.  

Treasure trove ....

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Unbenannt.png

This one has a special meaning to me since Art Pepper played a festival gig in Austria during that period, and on the playing list was his famous version of "Your´s my heart only". I heard another version of it on the Croydon Concert also 1981. I think those two "widow´s taste" albums are wonderful. 

I think, on the Austrian gig Pepper had to play with Stan Getz´s rhythm section, I don´t know exactly what had happened that he didn´t have his usual rhythm section. 

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

0078635142327_600.jpg

So good ....

Especially for his version of "There will never be another you". He is great on that, wonderful block chords. He played it again in Paris at BlueNote in 1961 of 62 with Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clark. Both versions are great. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This one has a special meaning to me since Art Pepper played a festival gig in Austria during that period, and on the playing list was his famous version of "Your´s my heart only". I heard another version of it on the Croydon Concert also 1981. I think those two "widow´s taste" albums are wonderful. 

I think, on the Austrian gig Pepper had to play with Stan Getz´s rhythm section, I don´t know exactly what had happened that he didn´t have his usual rhythm section. 

Art Pepper "lost" George Cables somewhere in Europe during the summer tour in 1981 .... in Velden/Austria he had Lou Levy from Stan Getz 4tet subbing and in Copenhagen Duke Jordan came to the rescue ....

31 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Art Pepper "lost" George Cables somewhere in Europe during the summer tour in 1981 .... in Velden/Austria he had Lou Levy from Stan Getz 4tet subbing and in Copenhagen Duke Jordan came to the rescue ....

Very interesting back-ground info ! I have thought he had "lost" Milcho Levieff, but sure....... he played a lot with George Cables. George Cables was a very very fine pianist and composer, his was with Dexter, and by the way, Dexter also was on schedule in Velden 81, then with Kirk Lightsey......

39 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Very interesting back-ground info ! I have thought he had "lost" Milcho Levieff, but sure....... he played a lot with George Cables. George Cables was a very very fine pianist and composer, his was with Dexter, and by the way, Dexter also was on schedule in Velden 81, then with Kirk Lightsey......

I believe Milcho Leviev was touring with Art Pepper during summer 1980 - culminating in a week long stay @ Ronnie Scott's London ....