• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This morning I spent with my Dad and on the hour plus trip there and then the hour plus trip back I listened to:

The debut release from Miki Yamanaka, a nice pianist with Steve Nelson on vibes.

Miki-Yamanaka.jpg

and Duke Ellington "The Pianist"
MI0001656995.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This afternoon Fiona the dachshund and I toughed the hot weather upstairs to listen to:

Helen Merrill "You and the Night and the Music"
MI0000160632.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Wynton Marsalis "The Magic Hour"
Wynton+Marsalis+–+The+Magic+Hour.jpg

Grant Green "Carryin' On" Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissue cd
gg-carryin.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I love this record. I think when I first heard the title tune "E.S.P." it was on a Miles Davis Sampler "Greatest Hits". Then, this was a cheap way to buy some Miles. Later I bought all the Albums of Course. From the first CBS "Round Midnight" until the last "Agharta". I think I like most the Albums from 1963 on, the live stuff and the Studio productions with the second great quintet. 

Unbenannt.png

@Referentzhunter: You are Right, now I remember it, it was my same Impression on first Hearing. I think one must understand under what circumstances the Album was made, it was just the movie score for that Film Noir. 

For my personal tastes, I also prefer the other records that Miles made during that period, the first quintet, the Prestige and Columbia Albums.

This morning I'm re-listeneing to two I spun yesterday:

The debut release from Miki Yamanaka, a nice pianist with Steve Nelson on vibes.

Miki-Yamanaka.jpg

Grant Green "Carryin' On" Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissue cd
gg-carryin.jpg

Miki's is a very nice sounding release. I wish I liked Joey Baron more--his work doesn't really thrill me, so I'd have welcomed a different drummer.

The Green is not among his best work but this new mastering has made me appreciate it more. Some nice song choices.