So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

413DQBC2SXL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Disc 1 of 2.  I've not read the associated book (nor even, at this point, any of the accompanying essay in the liner notes), so I'm just judging this as a listening experience.  I'm one who does enjoy listening to that hot rhythm music from time to time and I don't mind the audio defects of vintage recordings.  That said, most of this disc reminded me of some "Farmyard Frolic" 1920's animated cartoon in which all this music would be played by rhythmically bouncing cows, pigs and chickens (I'll let you decide which ones play  the trumpets, bones and saxes).  I will have to give a nod to Paul Whiteman's "Sensation Stomp".  It's track 16 here and that was the first one which really sparked some interest from me, due I guess to the noticeable professionalism of the whole affair.  Things start getting a little better around track 18, "After You've Gone" by the California Ramblers and then by track 23 we're right in my ballpark with the Bud Freeman Famous Orchestra's "Shimmie-Sha Wabble" and the disc closes out with the the wonderful Miss Lee Wiley.  The voice of Miss Lee Wiley, as the kids nowadays so eloquently put it, floats my boat -- quite -- so if she wishes to confess that she has a crush on me, sweetie pie, who am I to stop her?

Perhaps Disc 2 will be more to my liking.

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

500x500.jpg

Great CD and actually my introduction to the artistry of Betty Carter! :D

16 hours ago, Justin V said:

41X6X5SX9SL._SY400_.jpg

Lew Tabackin - Tenority: I wish Tabackin would tour around here, although I was fortunate to see most of a trio set at Smalls a few years ago.  Having the bell of his horn pointed at me from a few feet away was intense.

I saw Lew Tabackin as part of a Sonny Rollins tribute concert put on by SFJazz many years ago.  He shared the bill with Joe Lovano, Joshua Redman and David Sanchez.  Great show!

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

914UGYltxUL._SY355_.jpg

Bought from (and signed by) the man himself ! His latest.

Greg was in great form for the encounter with Gilad Atzmon in Wilmslow on Tuesday.

Now giving Gratitude a first listen on Spotify. :tup

58 minutes ago, BillF said:

Greg was in great form for the encounter with Gilad Atzmon in Wilmslow on Tuesday.

‘Gratitude’ is excellent - fine live gig, superbly recorded. Just as good as the Phil Woods double.

Gilad performed a couple of sets last night with his Orient House Ensemble. Pretty well a completely Coltrane setlist. Probably the finest performance I have seen from him and I have seen some good ones over the years. Gareth Williams brilliant too. With a flat calm sea and superb evening sea view in the bay, what more could one ask for !

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

‘Gratitude’ is excellent - fine live gig, superbly recorded. Just as good as the Phil Woods double.

Gilad performed a couple of sets last night with his Orient House Ensemble. Pretty well a completely Coltrane setlist. Probably the finest performance I have seen from him and I have seen some good ones over the years. Gareth Williams brilliant too. With a flat calm sea and superb evening sea view in the bay, what more could one ask for !

Yes, now heard Gratitude and I agree. Live dates obviously suit Greg. This from 2010 is my favourite and it's something of a rarity nowadays. Greg told me the company went out of business shortly after - and I hope not because of - this record :D

ABATE_CD_COVER%5B1%5D.jpg

-

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

APRJ_8243__77098__01102017084611-6188.jp

The George Duvivier Roy Haynes provided grooves are priceless indeed ....

I'd put Screamin' the Blues on equal footing with Blues & the Abstract Truth as the highest points of Nelson's small group recordings.  

That said, I wouldn't want to be without ANY of them! ;) 

Edited by HutchFan