• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Baritone Saxophone – Danny Banks Bass – Milt Hinton (tracks : A1,A2,A3,A4) Wendell Marshall (tracks A5,A6,B1,B2) Bull Ruther (tracks: B3 to B6) Drums – Osie Johnson Guitar – Barry Galbraith (tracks: A1 to A6, B1 ,B2) Piano – Gene de Novi (tracks: B3 to B6) Soprano Saxophone – Hal McKusick (tracks:A5,A6,B1 to B6) Tenor Saxophone – Al Cohn (tracks: A1 to A4) Trombone – Billy Byers Trumpet – Jimmy Nottingham (tracks: A5,A6, B1,B2, Joe Newman (tracks: A1 to A4) Recorded February 1, 1955

The forerunner of the first quintet ! 

Other than on the pre 1955 Recordings, here you allready have the classic harmon mute Sound of Miles on "A Gal from Calico" and "The first time I saw your face before me" , with Red Garland it allready sounds like the later 1956 Prestige Records, and it´s interesting how Miles choose to include at least one tune from the Gillespie Charts, here Night in Tunisia and listen how Miles does the intro, it´s a very individualistic manner how he does it. 

This one allready has Red Garland and Philly Joe Jones, and the choice of Oscar Pettiford before Paul Chambers came in, is an interesting one. 

I purchased it together with the Miles and Milt Jackson Album. I think both of them were japanese Prestige Recordings, in 1978. This second Album also is very interesting with Jackie McLean, two of his tunes, Milt Jackson great as ever, and the very very fine piano of Ray Bryant.

Unbenannt.png

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

52 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Great music indeed ....

Agreed. And an interesting version of "Flowers for Albert" is also on a Henry Grimes CD I have, some live stuff from Finland from about 2005 when I saw them live: Henry Grimes, David Murray and Hamid Drake, wonderful ! 

And since we are talkin also about Sun Ra´s ESP record. And me talkin about Henry Grimes: A good suggest for listening is also Henry Grimes ESP album "The Call" with Perry Robertson and ....... ah....... a drummer I forgot his name.......

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Agreed. And an interesting version of "Flowers for Albert" is also on a Henry Grimes CD I have, some live stuff from Finland from about 2005 when I saw them live: Henry Grimes, David Murray and Hamid Drake, wonderful ! 

And since we are talkin also about Sun Ra´s ESP record. And me talkin about Henry Grimes: A good suggest for listening is also Henry Grimes ESP album "The Call" with Perry Robertson and ....... ah....... a drummer I forgot his name.......

Unbenannt.png

There's a CD of that Grimes, Drake , Murray from the Kerava Jazz Festival. Very nice indeed.

The drummer on The Call is Tom Price.

Edited by jlhoots