Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31V21PKEQFL._SY400_.jpg

Disc 4.  I purchased this box 10+ years ago and have never listened to the whole thing.  I have one of the single discs and remember being put off by some of Pepper's nervous banter on the box.  I am enjoying the disc so far (but am still torn.  On one hand, it is 9 discs with the Cables/Mraz/Jones rhythm section, as great a rhythm section as one can find, in fine form.  On the other hand, 9 discs is just so much to take in and I am not sure I'll ever be able to devote enough time to fully appreciate such a huge chunk of material.  Is too much of a good thing an asset or a liability?  

@Justin V :I remember I also have one LP from that Vanguard gig. Don´t know exactly what day it was. But I haven´t listened to it very very much. During that time I had another Pepper Album 1979 in Japan "Landscape" which I love much more and still listen to it. 

On the Vanguard LP what I didn´t like so much was an over Long composition something called "My Friend Stan". For my tastes it´s too much of a composition, too Long. I like much of Art Pepper´s playing, mostly from the later years , but I´m not the biggest fan of his own compositons, which are sometimes too Long, it´s hard to solo on such a Long theme, you might be forced to read it from sheet rather than get it into your head just to improvise on it as is usual on stage….

Edited by Gheorghe

23 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Agreed. And an interesting version of "Flowers for Albert" is also on a Henry Grimes CD I have, some live stuff from Finland from about 2005 when I saw them live: Henry Grimes, David Murray and Hamid Drake, wonderful ! 

And since we are talkin also about Sun Ra´s ESP record. And me talkin about Henry Grimes: A good suggest for listening is also Henry Grimes ESP album "The Call" with Perry Robertson and ....... ah....... a drummer I forgot his name.......

Unbenannt.png

Agreed. I have the Finnish cd - excellent music.   For an odd version of Flowers try  the Skatalites with Murray.