Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.jpg?c=CisKNNKulZauBf1dqXXe3IAf7E_1

Disc 2, the previously unreleased session with Cecil Payne, Ron Carter and Roy Haynes.  I don't think the liner notes address why the bulk of this session went unreleased for so long, but it boggles my mind.  It is absolutely brilliant music that should've been released immediately and widely celebrated.

2Q==2Q==2Q==81UvtXP4gOL._SX355_.jpg

This 2 CD set is part of a series put out by Columbia House back around 1990.  I've found some of them at the local library and I recently found a couple of them on sale for less than a buck each.  These are far from jazz albums although there are jazz performers here.  The only instrumental on the album is a version of "Lover" by the DBQ.  Other jazz associated performers represented here include Buddy Greco, Jackie & Roy (their terrific "Mountain Greenery"), Tony Bennett (who really delivers the goods on "Nobody's Heart Belongs To Me") and Billie Holiday (although her sole entry here comes from her final Columbia album, which is far from my favorite of her recordings for that label).  It's odd that such former Columbia recording artists as Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney and Louis Armstrong are not represented here.

There are no liner notes included at all, so the rest of the selections come from pop singers of the period (Doris Day, Vic Damone, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, The Four Lads, etc.) or what I assume were cast albums done specifically for a studio recording or as part of a Broadway revival of a show.  The latter selections feature a number of singers I'm not familiar with (Mardi Bayne? Sandra Church? Beverly Fite? Marge Dodson?), but three of them feature actor/singer/sire of 1970's Tiger Beat idols Jack Cassidy.  Every time I saw him on TV as a kid, he struck me as the creepiest man alive and hearing him sing "Babes In Arms" is a special kind of creepy.

For me, some of the finest tracks here are the 5 from Mary Martin.  If you only think of her as Peter Pan, you are overlooking one of the finest lyrical interpreters the GAS has known.  She was quite a fluid singer, not a great range, but she could communicate the mood and meaning of a song so well.  When Doris Day sings "Ten Cents A Dance", well, sorry, but I don't believer a word of it coming from her; from Mary Martin, I could.  Here, Ms. Martin shines on fare ranging from "Johnny One Note" to "Where Or When"

Edited by duaneiac