• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, duaneiac said:

1200x630bb.jpg

It may be odd that my favorite tracks here are not the many Monk compositions, but the standards he interprets.  It may not be a word often used to describe Monk, but I found this version of "Darn That Dream" to be rather touching; his playing sounded quite sincere.  "Meet Me Tonight In Dreamland" is kind of sweet (another term not frequently associated with Monk).  It is sweet in the obvious affection he has for the tune and it's sweet that, given a free hand to play/ record in this setting pretty much anything he desired, he chose to present this nearly forgotten ditty from days gone by.  If Thelonious Monk thought this song was worth his attention, it's definitely worth our attention too,  And "Nice Work If You Can Get It" -- that tag at the end, whoa, does that ever take things in a new and unexpected turn.

Monk is very very fine on those last Studio sessions. And he played great on the Giants of Jazz from the same period. I Always have admired Monk´s stride piano. And yeah, Darn That Dream is a ballad that really fits to Monk´s style. When I play it, I think I can´t play it without some Monkish chords..

but as on so many cover photos I really doubt this was done during the Studio session. My first Monk LP was the paperbag twofer "Monk Complete Genius" from BN, with all the 1947-1952 sessions, and it had exactly this photo with that funny chinese hat in the inner cover . 

Time flies: When I first listened to this, it was recorded (on Juli 31th 1964) About 10 years ago. Now it´s 55 years ago. 

I think it´s one of Bud´s best latterday Studio Albums. I like most the Parker associated tunes "Little Willie Leaps" "Moose the Mooche" and "Relaxin at Camerillo". 

Maybe Bud´s Performances were a bit uneven in his later years. His next Studio Album "The Return of Bud Powell" is still very fine, but it seems he was in lesser form on it. But still very fine…. 

Unbenannt.png

22 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Time flies: When I first listened to this, it was recorded (on Juli 31th 1964) About 10 years ago. Now it´s 55 years ago. 

I think it´s one of Bud´s best latterday Studio Albums. I like most the Parker associated tunes "Little Willie Leaps" "Moose the Mooche" and "Relaxin at Camerillo". 

Maybe Bud´s Performances were a bit uneven in his later years. His next Studio Album "The Return of Bud Powell" is still very fine, but it seems he was in lesser form on it. But still very fine…. 

Unbenannt.png

Aptly titled ....

61av1s6AZNL._SY400_.jpg

I must've acquired this when I was having issues with a CD drive because I didn't rip it immediately.  I ripped it yesterday and my already very favorable opinion has improved.  Shaw deserves to be remembered for more than his stint with Mingus.  :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Justin V

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, time flies in jazz, as in everything else.

I remember the late Jack Massarik (who was to become jazz correspondent of the London Evening Standard) saying to me of some Getz/Haig/Raney tracks when we were students: "It's amazing to think this music is almost TEN YEARS OLD!!!"

I'll leave it to you pundits to work out the date of that utterance.<_<

The veteran Canadian altoist, in a duo setting with Bill Mays...

Image result for this quiet room pj perry

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

but as on so many cover photos I really doubt this was done during the Studio session. My first Monk LP was the paperbag twofer "Monk Complete Genius" from BN, with all the 1947-1952 sessions, and it had exactly this photo with that funny chinese hat in the inner cover . 

Gee, I've never thought that the cover picture needed to have anything to do with the actual recording session.  But maybe it does explain this Monk cover:

Image result for thelonious monk underground