• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1955 was not a very prolific year for Sonny Rollins. One studio album as a leader for Prestige (‘Wortime’) plus live recordings with the Brownie-Roach ensemble.

D8862219-0CEC-412A-9131-81899A108F99.jpeg

1A02CBD7-93F4-486F-86A6-0E21B048BAEC.jpeg

16 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

This seems a remarkable achievement not only to have every recording in order but to work your way thru so many. Are you programming CDs on the fly with each new one? I presume you have a Sonny discography to consult but I hope its up to date. And when you get to the 1960s do you have all those boots of live recordings?

My Percy France sessionagraphy is seeming more and more like a cakewalk compared to your project.

Dan

I am (painstakingly slowly) converting all my CD collection into digital format, musician by musician. This allows me to prepare sort of partially complete discographies in chronological order... and this also allows me to engage in these crazy listening binges, using the most accessible discography at hand! (this time it’s the Japanese Jazzdisco.org, not the most complete or reliable one) 😜

Edited by EKE BBB

12 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Dan

I am (painstakingly slowly) converting all my CD collection into digital format, musician by musician. This allows me to prepare sort of partially complete discographies in chronological order... and this also allows me to engage in these crazy listening binges, using the most accessible discography at hand! (this time it’s the Japanese Jazzdisco.org, not the most complete or reliable one) 😜

Gotta be slow going its so much work! But I am doing the same thing for Percy France so I can't criticize the urge. :g

image.jpg?c=gm3NCbP8ZPeHFgIpCJKd7SpQg_7i

A different album for Jones, with a rotating cast of vocalists.  I feel like I have taken Jones for granted a bit after seeing him live so many times.  He has never been less than excellent live and I am enjoying go back through his albums.  I plan on seeing a double bill with his quartet and Kenny Barron's trio next year.  With his chair position at Berklee, I hope he doesn't slow down recording and touring due to his responsibilities.

33 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

I gotta recognise Percy France is totally new to me! Any recs?

Totally new? Easiest to locate would be Jimmy Smith Home Cookin' (BN) (Freddie Roach Down To Earth (BN) is also very good but only issued on CD in Japan). Allen Lowe produced I Should Care a trio date from 1980 that's excellent - there's one inexpensive copy on discogs right now but maybe not so cheap after shipping to yurope. There's also a Sir Charles Thompson thing on Columbia and an Oliver Jackson led date on Black & Blue.  He was Bill Doggett's first tenor, more or less, and a great deal of his early work is on one of the Doggett Chronological Classics

I am only now lacking a 78 he did in 1949 and a track from a compilation that was issued as a party-favor CDR to guests at Mario Schneeburger's 80th birthday party. Flurin tried to help with the Swiss archives but its not available. Schneeburger refused to share. I hate him. 

Edited by Dan Gould