So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Image result for david hazeltine blues quarters vol.2

Image result for billy drummond dubai

3 hours ago, duaneiac said:

71teg1zFcNL._SY355_.jpg

Still one of my favorite Sinatra albums.  FS was in his prime and every track here works flawlessly.  The album works especially well because Billy May's arrangements dance on their own.  This is one instance where I think the album works best by itself.  The CD bonus tracks pale in comparison, even the duets with Keely Smith.

Great record. My folks had this and Songs For Swinging Lovers and I had an almost daily dose, so much so that I've memorised a lot of the lyrics. I think my mom used to be one of the Frank obsessed teeny boppers.

I have all the Capitols and agree about the so called bonus tracks, they are something I can well live without.

Edited by kinuta

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Q: What is jazz music?

Mingus: I don't know...and I don't care.

Great little time-capsule film - priceless. Particularly enjoyed seeing footage of Ed Thigpen’s ‘Action-Reaction’ and Dannie Richmond in action. Dig Jack Walrath’s suit !

Edited by sidewinder

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

71dmVf5GZ1L._SL1050_.jpg

Sonny Red so far up in Joe Henderson's stuff it ain't even questionable!

How's the sound quality and overall performance on this one?  Looked at it in the past, and the all-standards repertoire was offputting.

12 minutes ago, felser said:

How's the sound quality and overall performance on this one?  Looked at it in the past, and the all-standards repertoire was offputting.

It's fine, you can hear all the notes and all the instruments and nothing detracts from that except maybe crowd noise, and the sound qulaity there is goo too. 

Performance? Iit's a gig, no doubt a so-called "casual", meaning that somebody gets a gig, they call cats up to make it, and then they all show up and play a common repertoire that is familiar to everybody there, players and audience, no rehearsal needed.

There are people who might listen to this and say, well, I was expecting better, and to them I say, why? Based on what? It was a gig, a one-off, not meant to be recorded. It's not the type of thing you listen to for bedazzlement, it's the type of thing you listen to to hear people play a gig. If that's not anything like what you want to hear, stay away, because that's all it is.

As such, by those standards, there are as many pluses as there are minuses by other standards (puns not intended, but unavoidable). But it's always entertaining to me to hear Sonny Red, one of those guys who seemed to have been in a perpetual state of "getting it together". Here, he's rambunctiously under the spell of Joe Henderson, and for me, it's a gas to hear that thing going on on this record, one more chapter in the ever-wandering saga of Sonny Redd.