So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

6 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Stunning live performance in his intimate and concise style. No flashy runs, no ornaments. Excellent for the evening hours, alone at home, sitting on your favourite armchair with a glass of good red wine. ^_^

Sounds like a great evening. Thanks!  :tup 

NP:

Earlier today:

51Vo-eDertL.jpg

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B00005KK57.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Gordon Brisker Quintet - My Son John (NAXOS Jazz, 2001).  Gordon Brisker - tenor sax; Tim Hagans - trumpet, flugelhorn; Mike Nock - piano; Anthony Cox - bass; Billy Hart - drums.  I like this German series - solid straight-ahead albums.  Lots of fine classical items as well under the NAXOS label; first boutgh a NAXOS LP circa 1972, seem to recall it was Carl Neilsen's Symphony no. 5.

Larry Kart's recent exploration of this music caused me to go back and listen to this one. Niehaus was "well schooled" and did write lovely ensemble passages. I also like his Konitz-inspired alto. Certainly, director Clint Eastwood shares this affection. I think Niehaus has scored most of his films since "Bird."

niehaus.jpg

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Sorry, but to which post are you referring to .... ?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-12093204-1528746575-7203.jpeg.jpg

R-12093204-1528746579-2051.jpeg.jpg

Gil is playing very proactive piano here!

No, I'm sorry. this one. 

57 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

"Duke Ellington's Timon of Athens" Stanley Silverman

cover_cd_000.jpg?w=480

Al Casey "Swingville: Buck Jumpin'" OJC cd

OJCCD-675-2.jpg

Funny I just got the Timon of Athens.  Too bad EKE only recorded a couple of tracks from it. 

Oh, that one. I only have it as a digital file from a now defunct (I think,...) blog. The CD images above are from Discogs. It's a "grey market" label, I assume.

Pretty rousing renditions for the most part, and if a legit/authorized version should appear, I'd be likely to pay for it. But at this point in time, it has not, and I haven't. And yet it exists, I can listen to it any time I want to, at least as long as there's electricity!

6 minutes ago, medjuck said:

No, I'm sorry. this one. 

Funny I just got the Timon of Athens.  Too bad EKE only recorded a couple of tracks from it. 

Yes, it's too bad. Their performance of a number on the Bell Telephone Hour is a gas! I've had this cd since it was released a long time ago. It's not the bee's knees. . . . No substitute for what would be the real thing if the Orchestra had recorded it all.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Oh, that one. I only have it as a digital file from a now defunct (I think,...) blog. The CD images above are from Discogs. It's a "grey market" label, I assume.

Pretty rousing renditions for the most part, and if a legit/authorized version should appear, I'd be likely to pay for it. But at this point in time, it has not, and I haven't. And yet it exists, I can listen to it any time I want to, at least as long as there's electricity!

Strange happenstance, I started listening to the exact same concert in my car yesterday, continuing today - working through a stack of old CD-R's I had burned many years ago but never got around to hearing.  Nice to see it sandwiched by two excellent Billy Harper compositions.

MI0001961938.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The Jack Walrath Group - Hi Jinx (Stash CD)

Compiles music originally released on 2 Stash LPs: 
Revenge of the Fat People (1982), quintet with Ricky Ford, Michael Cochrane, Cameron Brown & Mike Clark
A Plea for Sanity (1983), trio with Michael Cochrane & Anthony Cox  

Edited by HutchFan

Magic Moments of Lata Mangeshkar No image available, found it at a recent library sale. But, these Bollywood songs of a certain vintage, and how they were almost all performed by a small handful of "playback singers"...lord have mercy, such music, and so much of it! And not having indigenous ears or anything else to give this actual context, the rhythmic cadences of the lyricws, the harmonic shifts and the totally in-the-pocket drumming makes for an imaginative experience that is nothing but delight for me.

And then there's the scenes from the films themselves, which if you're patient, you can find on YouToob:

Next library sale, I'm grabbing any CD that looks like it might even be something like this.