Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51WQGIoHS-L.jpg

Say what you will about the advisability of "jazzing up" songs like "Michael Row The Boat Ashore" or "Polly Wolly Doodle", Terry Gibbs swings his butt off on each tune here.  Some of his bandmates (including Jimmy Raney and Alice McCleod) seemed, at times, to lack faith in the album's concept, but Mr. Gibbs was all in and he simply used those tunes as fuel for his fire.  Not a great album, but a fun one primarily due to Mr. Gibbs' commitment.

12 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent platter too ....

Oh, fierce. One of the fiercest. Grown Folk Music indeed..

32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I had no idea that record existed, never seen it before.  And that's an impeccable rhythm section!

That Baystate catalog is ripe for a systematic issuing in the US, or could be, As it is (or was)...the Internet has been my friend, it and Dusty Groove from time to time.

51 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Was that reissued on CD?

Not that I am aware of. It's a really nice period piece, kinda modeled after the Charles Lloyd records of the time, maybe. Only a LOT friskier. That rhythm section (none of whom I recognized without some digging) is all in, as is Watts.

I'm not at all an Ernie Watts fan, but this was a fun listen. I found a LP copy in "acceptable" condition for a good sigle-digit price, so keep an eye out.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I had no idea that record existed, never seen it before.  And that's an impeccable rhythm section!

Still more John Stowell . . .

81Em1bjzEnL._SS500_.jpg

David Friesen, John Stowell - Other Mansions (Inner City, 1980)

Blast from the past - remember seeing/hearing Stowell in a restaurant over 20 years ago. Not sure who was on bass, might have been Friesen.

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

613wUxadm1L.jpg

Arthur Blythe - Focus (Savant, 2003)
I love the sound of this ensemble -- with Tsilis' concert marimba (no vibes) and Stewart's tuba. Far from a garden-variety "alto with rhythm" date.

I like yo think of myself as a pretty big Blythe fan, but I didn't know about this,. Thanks!