• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

81rWXVajVsL._SY355_.jpg

I´m not really an Oscar Peterson fan, but this album is my favourite and about the only one that gets some spinning occasionally, since I like the tunes he choose for that record, and unlike other albums of Peterson, it is not so "overdone" on the piano. It´s got a lighter touch and it´s more sparse, not like banging all them 88 keys . This is a comfortable trio record and sometimes when I´m tired or exhausted I like to listen to it. 

Edited by Gheorghe

A "Jackie & Jackie" album might have been interesting. The Jackie Paris documentary is a fascinating watch., recommended.

Yesterday I spent the day with my Dad, taking him in for some tests, having a leisurely lunch, looking around futilely for some no-sodium or really low-sodium bread he can eat, and then on to a dermatology appointment. (He loves this doctor, but in six years I've taken him about fifteen times and not once were they ever "on time"--the closest they have ever been is seeing the doctor thirty minutes after his appointment time, yesterday it was one hour and twenty five minutes after his appointment time the doctor walked into the room--something is seriously wrong in the way that office is run!)

On the way there and back I listened to two albums that keep popping up on a listening thread on a music forum I haunt: Ron Miles "I AM A MAN" and "Jack Wilkins" on Mainstream.

As he has before, Ron's playing reminds me of a more abstract Wynton, and his composing as well. A nice album; I could do without the concluding Frisell Freak Out.

The Wilkins is very good. The third track doesn't thrill me but the others are excellent. Great guitar sound he gets.

Today I have listened to the Ron Miles again, sound so much better on the main system. I've also listened to the Verve cd "Coleman Hawkins and his All Stars at Newport," which is a nicely recorded and tight Newport set for the ages, and Duke Jordan's "Flight to Jordan," Blue Note Japan RVG LP facsimile edition. I always enjoy this one, his only leader date for Blue Note--Dizzy Reece and Stanley Turrentine have made great music together when they are recorded as a front line. They "blend" so well.