Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2554050-1300638081.jpeg.jpg

If you had room in your collection for only one Sammy Davis, Jr. album -- and mind you , no one is saying your collection needs any Sammy at all -- you better damn well make sure it 's this one!  I'd rate this as one of the finest male vocal records (non-Sinatra division) of all time, right up there with the Tony Bennett & Bill Evans album and the Johnny Hartman & John Coltrane album.  Mr. Davis displays on track after track of this album that underneath all the Rat Pack glitz/schtick, there beat the heart of a sensitive song stylist.  Beautiful, thoughtful music.

On 13-9-2019 at 7:26 AM, Gheorghe said:

I´m not really an Oscar Peterson fan, but this album is my favourite and about the only one that gets some spinning occasionally, since I like the tunes he choose for that record, and unlike other albums of Peterson, it is not so "overdone" on the piano. It´s got a lighter touch and it´s more sparse, not like banging all them 88 keys . This is a comfortable trio record and sometimes when I´m tired or exhausted I like to listen to it. 

Thanks for your view on the Oscar Peterson Trio.

Since you can hear this composer so much in concert I generally avoid recordings. I thought these might be cool to dabble in but am finding them a bit underwhelming. Nice sounding but a bit smooth, maybe? Can't deal with recordings of piano concertos (in general) so sticking to symphonies.

Meanwhile here's what I've got in the car - on CD, with apologies to Jim for the eventual environmental impact (he's right, he's right - just don't tell him...)