• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, soulpope said:

Excellent transfer ....

You also have some of the Tower Records Japan Tim Buckley (SHM-)CDs? I thought I was the only one here. I think Happy Sad sounds spectacular. I have Happy Sad, Blue Afternoon, Lorca, Starsailor & Greetings from L.A. and all these albums probably sound as good as they possibly can. Better than any US/EU CD.

9 minutes ago, erwbol said:

You also have some of the Tower Records Japan Tim Buckley (SHM-)CDs? I thought I was the only one here. I think Happy Sad sounds spectacular. I have Happy Sad, Blue Afternoon, Lorca, Starsailor & Greetings from L.A. and all these albums probably sound as good as they possibly can. Better than any US/EU CD.

The series also included the eponymous debut album. I didn't get that one because of the beautiful deluxe 2CD Rhino released a while back. 

Goodbye and Hello wasn't included in the Tower Records Japan series, probably because the regular Warner Japan CD from 2006 was still in print until recently. That CD from 2006 sounds harsh and digital in comparison. You can't really crank it up due to the limiting/compression. The Tower Records Japan series from 2010-13, however, does not sound digital at all. A shame these masterings weren't made available outside of Japan.

R-6568375-1546699465-2212.jpeg.jpg

R-6568375-1546699465-8920.jpeg.jpg

Originally from 1976 (recording date), 1977 release date. Vivid, VIVID flashbacks here, not to the record, but to a time when it looked like Woody Shaw-type music was about to really take over the mainstreamjazzworld. I have very fond memories of that time, of a certain sense of inevitability and triumph, so I do not mind the flashbackiness. but I was a bit shocked at how vivid THIS record, which I don't think I had heard before today, brought them on.

The playing is not necessarily "finished", but there's a spirit of immediacy, "hunger" even that still comes though. Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things, and even if you were there you had to like it then to like it now. Probably so. But I meet those criteria, so...

Having said all that...Cecil Bridgewater? Really? At least...Charles Sullivan?

Other than that, though, flashbacks.