So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

47 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

One Ellington leads to another, which often happens. 

I don't have the time to let that happen now, but it certainly has before...one time with Duke it lasted for about six weeks, NOTHING but Ellington all day and all night and entailed not only listening to what I already had, but making runs to the records stores every few day to pick up a new thing or two.

I've had it happen with other artists too, the extended lock-out of anything but their work, but it has happened more times and for longer durations with Duke than with anybody else. There's so much there, and it's all, at the very least, pretty damn good.

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-1162173-1330459137.jpeg.jpg

Jerry Gonzalez and The Fort Apache Band - Crossroads (Milestone)

R.I.P. Larry Willis 

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

One Ellington leads to another, which often happens. 

A single disc from that '56 to '62 Columbia period snags me into a long series of disc after disc of Ellington at times. Not a bad thing to happen.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I don't have the time to let that happen now, but it certainly has before...one time with Duke it lasted for about six weeks, NOTHING but Ellington all day and all night and entailed not only listening to what I already had, but making runs to the records stores every few day to pick up a new thing or two.

I've had it happen with other artists too, the extended lock-out of anything but their work, but it has happened more times and for longer durations with Duke than with anybody else. There's so much there, and it's all, at the very least, pretty damn good.

I hear you, gents! There's no musical bender better than a Duke Ellington bender!  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

51J4ingEEmL._SY400_.jpg

Perfect example of how Black & Blue is a discographical nightmare. This was issued on the Definitive series as Deep Purple, which I have. Only one extra track, "Claude of Mine". But then there is a Japanese reissue this year, with Ghost of a Chance, Candy, Solitude and Nearness of You as additional tracks. No clue where those tracks came from ...

Anyway ... fine music!

Now on to something completely different: my first listen of the remix of "The White Album." I can remember hearing this album when I first arrived at boarding school in M'Babane. Never was a huge Beatles fan but liked some of this album more than most of other Beatles albums. Remix is interesting. . . won't replace the original but a nice new window to look this material.

• gil-melle-patterns-in-jazz1.jpg?w=300&h=

Gil Melle "Patterns in Jazz" Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG LP Facsimile cd.

What a band! And Melle was responsible for bringing Alfred Lion and Rudy Van Gelder together.

Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on April 1, 1956.

Gil Mellé - tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone
    Eddie Bert - trombone (tracks 1-4)
    Joe Cinderella - guitar
    Oscar Pettiford - bass
    Ed Thigpen - drums

Edited by jazzbo