Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

418CC6PC59L.jpg

Speaking as a fan of "West Coast Jazz", I found this album to be pleasant enough, but it honestly felt like "in one ear and out the other" music to me.  Nothing really all that memorable is played here, but it would make for jazzy background music.  And the album concludes with one of Mr. Baker's more egregious vocal efforts.

"Sun Ra.....and his band.....from outer space…..are entertaining now !" 

Sun Ra Forever ! 

This was my first album and it started a live long admiration for this exceptional musician ! 

This 1966 band had some great musicians. I love them all, but would like to mention Bassist Ronny Boykins, he is great, has a fantastic arco sound . And the fantastic duet he does with Sun Ra, who plays that great Little instrument "Clavioline"...…..

Unbenannt.png

What a great album with wonderful musicians, George Duke and Tony Williams ! 

And a wealth of beautiful tunes: "Isn´t She Lovely" was also part of the set list of 1979 Rollins when I heard him live in Velden. "My one and only love" beautiful on soprano, also superb soprano work on his own "Arroz con Pollo" with some fantastic drum-work by my favourite Tony Williams. 

A very very good Sonny Rollins album ! 

Unbenannt.png

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

And a wealth of beautiful tunes: "Isn´t She Lovely" was also part of the set list of 1979 Rollins when I heard him live in Velden. "My one and only love" beautiful on soprano, also superb soprano work on his own "Arroz con Pollo" with some fantastic drum-work by my favourite Tony Williams. 

Unbenannt.png

Not for the first time I thought I'd give a recommended Sonny Rollins Milestone album another shot. Found Isn't She Lovely on YouTube. What a cheesy tune. Ugh! And that guitar!  :lol: 

Now I have heard contemporary live recordings of this tune that are better, but I remain convinced the Milestone albums suck except for the occasional track.

Edited by erwbol

Goro Ito/Jacques Morelenbaum "Rendezvous in Tokyo" 

I've had this cd on repeat as I pop in and out and listen this weekend, experiencing the new Windom OS for my DAC. 

Beautiful music, with interesting arrangements and the lovely lovely voice of the lovely Paula Morelenbaum.

field4_350x350.jpg

00_JKM_0185.JPG

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Unbenannt.png

Sonny on soprano!?!  I've wondered what he'd sound like on soprano but didn't realize that he ever played it.  I'll be checking that one out!

Now playing:

R-4292317-1416503063-2356.jpeg.jpg

This could have been reissued as The Joe Gordon Memorial Album.  The band on the Joe Gordon half, with Charlie Rouse, Junior Mance and Jimmy Schenk could have easily been a Messenger lineup.  Mance, in particular, shines.  This is just an outstanding disc; Gordon's untimely death was tragic.