So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

I hear some of you don´t like Rollins´ Milestone albums too much. Others wondered how Rollins sounds on soprano.

Well this here, let´s say I was already a fan when it came out. 

I think, Milestone records where quite easy to find during those days and we all waited eagerly for what well come next. That was in High School. So some from our "jazz gang" would say "hey, that´s the new one, Rollins, McCoy, Ron Carter, Al Foster", and it´s the best stuff and we all would listen to it together. 

Same Thing was the year before with McCoy Tyner´s "Supertrios". As soon as it came out, it was spinned and discussed…… can you imagine how wonderful this was ? 

Rollins was the hero of those who "tried" a bit Tenor. 

For those who don´t like his Milestone Albums: Sure, we listened to and dug his old stuff on Prestige, Blue Note etc. but we were Living then and Sonny Rollins was present so we eagerly awaited each new Album he did……., same with McCoy, Joe Henderson, Ron Carter, Tony Williams and all those master musicians…..

And here again, you have a taste of Rollins on soprano on the Extended track "Nubia", McCoy Tyners composition. 

My favourite track during those days were "The Cutting Edge" and Ron Carter´s "N.O. Blues". 

Unbenannt.png

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, JSngry said:

Thanks for hipping me to that album.  Are The Next Album and Easy Living it for Sonny on soprano?  Any clarinet on record?

Now playing:

41p0W6xEQAL._SY400_.jpg

Motohiko Hino - Sailing Stone: After getting to In Japan on the Joe Henderson Milestone box, I decided that this would be next.  

Edited by Justin V

45 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Thanks for hipping me to that album.  Are The Next Album and The Good Life it for Sonny on soprano?  Any clarinet on record?  

No clarinet. Don't know that Sonny ever played clarinet, even as a kid.

Maybe some soprano on Horn Culture? Can't recall offhand, that one's never done much for me.

There is Lyricon on a few tracks, but I'm not going to be responsible for pointing anybody to them. :g

Next Album is really, really good after you get past the opening cut.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

No clarinet. Don't know that Sonny ever played clarinet, even as a kid.

Maybe some soprano on Horn Culture? Can't recall offhand, that one's never done much for me.

There is Lyricon on a few tracks, but I'm not going to be responsible for pointing anybody to them. :g

Next Album is really, really good after you get past the opening cut.

Hey, the first cut ain't bad.  I imagine that it may have been the intended single with it being a fun, funky opener.  George Cables, Bob Cranshaw and Jack DeJohnette lay it down.  'Skylark', with its unaccompanied intro and long cadenza, is worth the price of admission alone.

(I edited my original post because the name of the Sonny album is Easy Living, not The Good Life.)

Now playing:

R-3799274-1344884165-4777.jpeg.jpg

NP:

MI0000506025.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Beautiful.

Earlier:

51tdGceqAKL._SX500_.jpg

Even my 51-year-old ears can hear a HUGE difference between this CD that I just received in the mail and the YouTube version that I'd been listening to.

Norma Winstone is such a wonderful singer.  Garrick's run with her from Heart of a Lotus (1970) to Home Stretch Blues (1972) to Troppo (1974) is one helluva purple patch.  All terrific.  Throw the trio record Cold Mountain (1972) in there, and IMO you've got one of the very best jazz runs of the early 1970s. 

Who knew?  Not me -- until just a couple years ago.

Edited by HutchFan