• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Before .... :

96af7de1a2.jpg

Speaking of worth listening to recordings from the 70`s ....

I need to hear that!  Love both of those artists, but I've never got 'round to that record.  Seems like an odd pairing.  But sometimes things gel, despite appearances.

soulpope, do you know this one?

R-4408159-1380866700-5601.jpeg.jpg

Tate & McShann go together like peanut butter & jelly.

Edited by HutchFan

Just now, HutchFan said:

I need to hear that!  Love both of those artists, but I've never got 'round to that record.  Seems like an odd pairing.  But sometimes things gel, despite appearances.

soulpope, do you know this one?

R-4408159-1380866700-5601.jpeg.jpg

Well worth a listen!  Tate & McShann go together like peanut butter & jelly.

Know the Tate & McShann, good stuff .... forget about mentalreservations regarding Tate + Ibrahim, you will be (very) surprised ....

Anmerkung-2019-10-17-193612.jpg

Usually the Village Vanguard recordings are the obvious choice for Art Pepper`s best live recording in the 70`s, but for me this one greatly benefits both from a perfectly cohesive rhythm section and the leader miles away from any intrusive Coltrane influences ....

Edited by soulpope

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

51E9k4eK2xL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Dave Cliff was a friend in the late 1960s when we were both students in Leeds, I at the University, Dave on the pioneering Jazz and Light Music course at the College of Music where he was taught by Tristano veteran Peter Ind. I renewed the friendship with  Dave at a concert in Manchester in 1984 when he was playing in a sextet of Jimmy Deuchar, Johnny Griffin, Slide Hampton, Peter Ind and Al Levitt. Probably his greatest moment on record was when he recorded in Scandinavia with Konitz, Marsh and Ind. I believe he's still playing, but he never seems to have gigs in the north of England, which is a pity as I'd love to hear him again.

Edited by BillF

56 minutes ago, BillF said:

Dave Cliff was a friend in the late 1960s when we were both students in Leeds, I at the University, Dave on the pioneering Jazz and Light Music course at the College of Music where he was taught by Tristano veteran Peter Ind. I renewed the friendship with  Dave at a concert in Manchester in 1984 when he was playing in a sextet of Jimmy Deuchar, Johnny Griffin, Slide Hampton, Peter Ind and Al Levitt. Probably his greatest moment on record was when he recorded in Scandinavia with Konitz, Marsh and Ind. I believe he's still playing, but he never seems to have gigs in the north of England, which is a pity as I'd love to hear him

Bill,

I consider Dave Cliff to be a first rate jazz guitar player. He has a couple of very very good CD's on the Spotlite label as well as many recordings as a sidemen.

9 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Bill,

I consider Dave Cliff to be a first rate jazz guitar player. He has a couple of very very good CD's on the Spotlite label as well as many recordings as a sidemen.

The recent sad departure of Irish guitarist Louis Stewart leaves Dave as the leading jazz guitarist in this part of the world IMO.