Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

I am among those (few?) who prefer the Miles Quintet with George Coleman over the one that followed.71l+JQG0RIL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

I certainly love those two MD records with George Coleman -- My Funny Valentine and Four & MoreUnbelievable playing by Big George on that night!!!

But I love the band with Wayne too. ;) 

NP:

MI0000563099.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by HutchFan

I Always like to tell a little story behind the albums I listen to, since they bring memories back: 
When Mingus´ "Me, myself an Eye" came out, I think it was just a week or two after Mingus´ death. 

I went to the record Store where I was a regular and Mr. Kratz, the owner told me "here is a new, the last Mingus Album, but you can Forget About it, I tried to listen and it sounds terrible, it doesn´t make no sense, don´t buy it!. 

Well, later in summer I thought I have to buy it just to "close circles", since I had almost all Mingus-albums. 

We thought, the title of the Album is "Me, myself, AND I " :lol:

Well About the Music: It really starts with some very free Avantgarde big band Sound, I can imagine how old Mr. Kratz stopped it at that Point, but for me it´s the Logical next step after "Three Shades" and "Cumbia". 

See, Mingus was a big star in the late 70´s and he wanted to reach even more audiences though the fact that he went more into "Fusion" (using guitarists like Larry Coryell) and "World Music" (with etno flutes and Percussion on "Cumbia"). So "Three Worlds of Drums" was the next great opus after Cumbia . 

I head once, that the idea for this Opus was Born while Mingus during his last world tour visited Tunisia. That explains the lightly oriental Sound of some of the shout chorusses.

And for me, as an absolute fan of drums and drummers, it´s paradise on earth to hear Danny Richmond, Joe Chambers and Steve Gadd and the percussionists together…..

Unbenannt.png

33 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Didn't expect to like this but it's great. The tracks with accordion are especially fun. Every jazz band ought to be required to include an accordion. It's hard to be pretentious when you're playing with an accordionist. I bet no one ever played free jazz on an accordion.  

folder.jpg

Interesting point ! Well, I must admit I don´t NEED an accordion in "every jazz band" but I can even imagine that it might fit in some free jazz Recordings. Didn´t Pharoah Sanders some stuff where he also used an harmonium, so why not an accordion. Or, Albert Ayler, he had roots in Country blues but went totally free, so I think some accordion Player could try to got along with this.

By the way, I even heard be bop bands with accordion in it.

There is one record of Bird, I think it was done for a television Show and it had and accordion , and I have a recording of Bud at some summer resort, where at one point where he plays How High the Moon, an accordion player is added to his trio.