• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

alb7.jpg

Joshua Breakstone - Japanese Songs: I purchased this after catching Breakstone's Blakey tribute on Tuesday.  I chose this album because of Al Harewood, whose subtle, swinging drumming meshes well with Breakstone and Earl Saul's work.  I'll have to check out more of Breakstone's discography, as he is a thoughtful player who chooses substance over flash and keeps heavy company.

He'll be playing here in Santa Fe on Nov. 8. Planning to attend.

13 minutes ago, Justin V said:

71kJfrnhyFL._SX425_.jpg

Oh, my.  This one hits hard.  I decided to give it a spin with my seldom-used Amazon Music subscription (I'm not sure whether it is included with just Prime) and am a bit surprised to see the download is selling for only $3.87.  

That one is a favourite - one of those things I would have loved to witness in person in that Vancouver club. Bought it on vinyl on RSD a couple of years ago, heck of a lot more than $3.87 though !

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Wow, I never saw this ? Mingus with Don Pullen, is this from the mid 70´s , the strong group with George Adams he had then ? 

Essential for any die-hard Mingus fan.

It has the short-lived group from 72/73 with Joe Gardner, John Stubblefield, Pullen and Roy Brooks. Radio broadcast tape held by the Brooks Estate, authorised for release by Sue Mingus. Sound quality is more than acceptable and the live atmosphere well captured. A ‘find’, for sure. I think the Forum ran a thread on this one if you do a search.

cover_3310151272016_r.jpg

From the Nucleus Vertigo box