• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The story behind the recording, from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHMR77K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

October 1, 1969, in Augusta, GA, was a homecoming for James Brown. His and his band's smoking performance at the city's Bell Auditorium was captured on tape, with an intention to make an album of the show the cornerstone of a move back to his roots. Live at Home With His Bad Self was scheduled as a lucrative holiday release. But JB and that band broke up. Soul Brother No. 1 called in a new, young band, featuring Bootsy Collins, and within a few weeks they recorded the funk anthem 'Sex Machine.' With the single flying up the charts and no album to promote along with it, JB scrapped the planned Live at Home album. He instead doubled down on a Sex Machine album, a part-live 2LP set that included a portion of the Augusta show. Now, finally, as James Brown intended: the full show with his celebrated '60s band. Live at Home With His Bad Self arrives on its 50th anniversary newly mixed with seven unreleased performances that even include two actual live instrumentals, 'Lowdown Popcorn' and 'Spinning Wheel,' that were on the original LP in studio recordings with fake applause. The package includes an essay by former James Brown tour manager and publicist Alan Leeds, a Grammy-winner who is also the co-producer of the album.

Dusty Groove want you to know this: https://www.dustygroove.com/item/929874

A rare lost treasure from James Brown – the full, unedited version of a live concert that was cut up and butchered for the Sex Machine album – presented here for the first time ever, with a huge amount of never-issued tunes! Sex Machine was one of those "fake" concert albums from James – some original live recordings, other studio tracks tricked out – and put together in a way that never really made much sense. This set is something completely different altogether – a James Brown concert from start to finish, complete with some wickedly sharp patter from the stage – and long tunes that really show his group hitting on all burners! The lineup of musicians include three drummers at once – Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Stars, and Melvin Parker – alongside Fred Wesley on trombone, Maceo Parker on alto, Jimmy Nolen on guitar, and Charles Sherrell on bass. James himself plays a bit of organ at instrumental moments – and tracks include the never-released "Lowdown Popcorn", "World", "Spinning Wheel", "Try Me", "I Got The Feelin/Lickin Stick Lickin Stick", and "Give It Up Or Turnit A Loos" – next to versions of "There Was A Time", "Say It Loud", "I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing", "Mother Popcorn", and "I Can't Stand Myself"

Here, decide for yoursel:

and the energy builds from there...

A wonderful trio of albums to listen to back to back to back.

Stan Getz "Sweet Rain" Verve Original cd. This was a perfect trio to support Stan moving a step forward.
Stan+Getz(Sweet+Rain,2008).jpg

R-2132346-1352238905-2689.jpeg.jpg

Horace Silver "Further Explorations of the Horace Silver Quintet" Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG LP facsimile cd. I'm beginning to think that Horace may have been positioning himself as the "Dave Brubeck of Hardbop." "Exploring" and visiting Tokyo, the Cape Verdean Islands, Mexico ;) . . . . Man the trio sections of this date are really something, and those who diss Rudy's piano sound . . . well I like it on this record for sure.

Nancy Harms, "Ellington at Night" (sorry couldn't find a smaller photo).
http://jazzpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Nancy-Harms-Ellington-at-Night-CD-Cover.jpg

I like this one much more than I thought I might. Could do without the strings which I don't think add what the artist and producer thought they might,  but a nice batch of interpretations. In a way Harms makes me think of a Rickie Lee Jones that decided not to be a songwriter but to seriously interpret jazz. Very good recording.

Edited by jazzbo

6 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

R-2132346-1352238905-2689.jpeg.jpg

Horace Silver "Further Explorations of the Horace Silver Quintet" Blue Note Japan 24 bit by RVG LP facsimile cd. I'm beginning to think that Horace may have been positioning himself as the "Dave Brubeck of Hardbop." "Exploring" and visiting Tokyo, the Cape Verdean Islands, Mexico ;) . . . . Man the trio sections of this date are really something, and those who diss Rudy's piano sound . . . well I like it on this record for sure.

I ordered the latest Japanese remaster, UCCQ-9525, earlier tonight. Seemed like a standout Horace Silver album. 

20 minutes ago, erwbol said:

I ordered the latest Japanese remaster, UCCQ-9525, earlier tonight. Seemed like a standout Horace Silver album. 

I have UCCQ-9525 too. You'll like it. These days in the current edition of my system the "24 bit by RVG" discs are really sounding wonderful so I've been playing those versions of these albums. It's as if Rudy created a character for each of these that comes through. Accurate? No. But some are very vivid and all grab my attention and keep it.

Now, another recording of the Tannenberg organ in Salem. This is a very impressive organ built by my great great great great great grandfather, and fully restored. Great sound too.

Peter Sykes, "Salem's Large Tannenberg's Organ Restored"

OAR-700TbergSykes350.jpg