• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/9/2019 at 6:19 AM, erwbol said:

IMG-3702.jpg

The Lost Quintet: Rotterdam November 9, 1969.

On 11/9/2019 at 0:31 PM, erwbol said:

For the 5th or 6th time now. I have lost count!

Exactly 50 years ago tonight!

2W7bY4w.gif

On 11/9/2019 at 0:31 PM, erwbol said:

For the 5th or 6th time now. I have lost count!

Exactly 50 years ago tonight!

2W7bY4w.gif

What's the discography story on this release? Has it been bootlegged previously or released legitimately before, and is this release legit or a bootleg? Thanks -- MS

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I strongly urge VSOPphiles to check this one out: https://www.discogs.com/The-VSOP-Quintet-Five-Stars/release/6130818

R-2826898-1302803901.jpeg.jpg

R-2826898-1302803915.jpeg.jpg

not released outside of Japan until 2014 (but released there in 1979!). No electronics, but otherwise a lot more "contemporary" (i.e.: less intentionally "retro") in terms of compositions and performances...everything, actually. IMO the "hottest" of the VSOP records.

One of the sought after japanese "Direct Cut" recordings from this time ....

Enjoyed  both sides of Vol. 1 for sure, but didn't quite see how Buckner's work, enjoyable though it is, is also (as Jim seems to imply)  that unusual or weird. Freewheelingly loose it is, if you will, especially in this jam session context, but all the other players seem to deal with it in a more or less unthreatened, swirl of a cape manner, the way a matador might deal with a rampaging bull. Of particular interest, I thought, was the way Roland Hanna (whose solos IIRC follows Buckner's on both tracks) seem to have imbibed some of Milt's freewheeling juice.

61mYxGW7SaL._AC_SR250,230_.jpg

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

d12a6adb47.jpg

This old warhorse is imperturbable ....

Old warhorse? Hand me my cane and sllppers.

515YzUWacwL._SX500_.jpg

40 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Old warhorse? Hand me my cane and sllppers.

"Old" is a relative term. I'd just turned 8 years old when that record was made in February 1976. So it pre-dates my first forays into jazz by about ten years.

;)

Edited by HutchFan

41 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Enjoyed  both sides of Vol. 1 for sure, but didn't quite see how Buckner's work, enjoyable though it is, is also (as Jim seems to imply)  that unusual or weird. Freewheelingly loose it is, if you will, especially in this jam session context, but all the other players seem to deal with it in a more or less unthreatened, swirl of a cape manner, the way a matador might deal with a rampaging bull. Of particular interest, I thought, was the way Roland Hanna (whose solos IIRC follows Buckner's on both tracks) seem to have imbibed some of Milt's freewheeling juice.

61mYxGW7SaL._AC_SR250,230_.jpg

These kind of lengthy Jam Session recordings are far from favorites of mine. They usually have a few good solos, but just one long set of solos gets rather tedious in my opinion. There are, of course, some exceptions such as the lengthy Jam Session with Bird, Hodges, Carter, etc.

I would find these very long tunes much more interesting if there were arrangements with some group playing between and setting off each soloist.

51-nwDteVfL.jpg

Does it bother anyone besides me that the photo on this 1971 recording is from 1947? Sure, that's a terrific photo of Monk -- and a famous one. But why not choose an image that's from around the time that the record was made??? That photo is anachronistic. 

... Of course, the music is far beyond all criticism. 

25 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Chet certainly did not look like that in 1982.

Yep.

Another VERY famous anachronistic cover photo:

davis_miles_kindofblu_105b.jpg

This was the first version of KoB that I purchased. I soon realized that the photo was out-of-time AND reversed! :o

Edited by HutchFan